PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the Wall Whale brush?

SJohnson
03-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Does this brush actually work the way they claim? . . . It has me curious at least.

If you're unfamiliar with this contraption, here's a link:
http://www.wallwhale.com

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried it . . .

-SJohnson

mwsmith2
03-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Yep, i've got one, and whearas I dispute the "clean your pool in 5 minutes" claim, that doesn't change the fact that it works very good. I think I have mine set up on the second from highest downforce, but that's the only change I had to make. It works great. One swipe down the wall and you're done. Gets two thumbs up from me.

Michael

cnk
03-27-2006, 12:09 PM
How much does it cost?

SJohnson
03-27-2006, 01:36 PM
19.99 on Leslie's website is the best price I've found . . .

SJohnson

nikonsal
03-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Just bought mine 3 days ago. LOVE IT. Just finished filling our new Diamond Brite plaster pool on Wednesday and was given a brush by the pool builder, and was told to brush brush brush. Used it Wednesday through Friday and thought there has got to be something better. Went to our local pool store and the Wall Whale was highly recommended. The pool builder has an employee taking care of the chems for the first 3 weeks. He was over and saw me using it and tried it and needless to say he will be buying the large version. They also make a conversion kit for existing brushes. I have mine set on the first setting giving the brush much down force to help brush off the plaster dust. Paid $21.99. The claim that it cleans a pool in 5 minutes is a joke, unless it is a very small pool. Where it excells is when brushing the walls. When I was brushing the walls I would lean out over the pool and push against the walls doing this was creating muscle strain. With the Wall Whale you just push straight down letting the downforce of the brush do all the work.

PopcornGirl
03-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Alright! I NEED one of these!!!
I am SO tired of fighting my brush; my shoulder is killing me from all the scrubbing I've been doing.
I have never heard of this, but I'm thankful for this thread.
Thanks for the tip!

Scarlett
04-07-2006, 06:59 PM
They also make a conversion kit for existing brushes.
Where did you find the conversion kit for sale? I bought the whole unit at our local Leslie's, but they didn't know anything about the conversion kit. It really does work, and I would like to add the kit to my oversized brush.

Scarlett

Brock
04-08-2006, 03:14 PM
So who has them online? I can't find one locally and they aren't on ebay, yet...

SJohnson
04-08-2006, 06:21 PM
19.99 on Leslie's website . . .

I actually went ahead and bought one at a local Leslie's store to save on the shipping cost, they are 19.99 in store, same as their website.

SJohnson

waste
04-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Alright! I NEED one of these!!!
I am SO tired of fighting my brush; my shoulder is killing me from all the scrubbing I've been doing.
I have never heard of this, but I'm thankful for this thread.
Thanks for the tip!

If you use the methods recommended here, the brush becomes a minor issue- but get the cool brush anyway- if mwsmith says it's good, it's gotta be :)

nikonsal
04-09-2006, 12:25 AM
The conversion kit is available direct from the company. You can also take the tail off of the brush that it came with and put it on your oversized brush as long as the holes line up.

SJohnson
04-09-2006, 11:40 AM
If you use the methods recommended here, the brush becomes a minor issue- but get the cool brush anyway- if mwsmith says it's good, it's gotta be :)

Was that comment really necessary??? For anyone brushing new plaster 2-3 times a day, this brush head can really save them some trouble . . .

SJohnson

waste
04-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Was that comment really necessary??? For anyone brushing new plaster 2-3 times a day, this brush head can really save them some trouble . . .

SJohnson
S, you seem to care about not only your pool, but other's. Therefore I am willing to discuss this. You are looking at the 'small picture' (the few weeks that a newly plastered pool NEEDS daily, repeated brushing), my commnts were about 'maintenance' brushing - the once a week variety that every pool owner should do. I don't doubt that this product will make brushing easier, and I said that if mwsmith thinks it's good, it must be. However, a lot of people come here to reduce the amount of money they have to spend on their pool, and, cool as it is, it's an expense that many folks can't fit into their budget.
I try to post only when I can add something to the discussion, I don't really care about my 'post count', you may not realize this, as the 'old' material is gone. However, anyone who 'calls me out' is going to get a reply, and I was gentle with you.

waterbear
04-09-2006, 03:16 PM
However, a lot of people come here to reduce the amount of money they have to spend on their pool, and, cool as it is, it's an expense that many folks can't fit into their budget.

Good point!

SJohnson
04-13-2006, 02:41 AM
I just wanted to follow up after having used this brush . . . It does work and remarkably well, I must say. My pool startup guy used it and was sold from the first brush stroke. I haven't used a brush in years and he made me try the regular brush so I could appreciate the difference. It really helps the brush hold against the wall, with no jittering or skipping across the surface. Everything they say in the marketing of this product has held up to trial . . . Not sure about brushing the pool in record time, but it certainly helps, as one stroke pretty much does it . . . Hope this thread helps and Waste, sorry for getting off the subject, hope there are no hard feelings . . .

Thanks everyone!!

SJohnson

Lenny
04-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks. I think I'll give it a shot.

I was thinking before that it might be easier to push but that there might be more resistance when pulling it back, but it sounds like that's not a problem.

likesspace
04-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Hi all....
I'm an above ground pool owner. Is it necessary to brush the walls of a vinyl lined above ground pool?
thanks,
Dave

nikonsal
04-13-2006, 06:26 PM
When pulling the brush back the tail flops over allowing the brush to be pulled back with ease.

waste
04-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Hi all....
I'm an above ground pool owner. Is it necessary to brush the walls of a vinyl lined above ground pool?
thanks,
Dave

I believe that Pooldoc has a riff on this at POOLSOLUTIONS - the sister site to this forum. Every pool needs maint. brushing, usually weekly is enough. The reason for it is that there are many areas in a pool where the flow and exchange of filtered vs. unfiltered ( treated vs. untreated) water is low and brushing 'activates' the water arround the brush and removes particles stuck to the surface.

SJohnson; yes, no hard feelings! (Both ways ?)
In the past I was prone to lengthy posts (waaay too much detail and rambling) and am currently trying to shorten my replies,to save myself, and anyone who chooses to read them, some time. I feel that keeping my posts to the 'nuts and bolts' of an answer may be better - if someone needs clarification for something I've typed, I'll gladly give it - if not, I'll have more time to check out other posts( given the limited time I have to 'play' on the site daily.)

likesspace
04-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the reply Waste. I don't think I've ever once used a brush in the three years we've had our pool. I guess maybe it's time to buy one of these things and start using it.
Thanks again.
Dave

AndyG
04-28-2006, 02:57 AM
Works just as claimed. An incredibly simple idea that uses downforce from the water to push the brush down against walls and floors with little effort on your part. The tail then reverses to make pulling it back effortless. It applies so much force, in fact, that you really have to tighten down your telescoping pole or it'll collapse on you.

Sadly, I just got a Dolphin Dynamic, so I probably won't find much need for my Wall Whale; great product though.

waste
06-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Andy, don't hang that puppy up for good, yet. (I know this thread is a little old, but sometimes they just need a little 'fluffing') Even with your dolphin, a weekly brushing is a good idea, for the reasons I gave above - your brush can get into small areas that the dolphin just passes over. I'm not implying that you'll get an algae bloom if you don't brush, but a little preventative maint. can save you a big headache - besides, you've already paid for the cool brush, why not use it? (if only to get the area around the returns and suction ports, the ladder treads and skimmer mouth) :) :)

HHead
07-13-2007, 04:49 PM
I had been thinking about getting a wall whale before I saw this thread and after reading the reviews thought this sounds like just what I need. I didn't get the same results. Using it on the walls the transition from down stroke to up stroke takes too long and it just doesn't seem to have the pressure I was looking for.
I want a pool cleaner that will scrub everything and free me from this hellish chore. It sure wasn't the Dolphin diagnostic.
Herb

Rangeball
07-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Is anyone having any issues with the brush bristles coming off with frequent use?

I bought a wall brush last year, and every time I used it, the plastic bristles would come off, float on the surface and it was a real pain in the... I ditched it, and have been leary of plastic wall brushes since.

KurtV
07-14-2007, 08:07 AM
rb,
You're right, the bristles break down after a while on all the plastic brushes. Sunlight/heat and salt/chlorine speed up that process, so storing it out of the sun and rinsing with tap water after use will prolong its life.

Rangeball
07-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks Kurt. I was storing it in the garage, can't say I was rinsing it. I wonder why they make them from hard, stiff plastic like they do?

I've been using the head of one of those handled brushes you can attach to a garden hose, for washing cars. Very soft polymer bristles, and stands up well to the pool. I just wish it was wider, and could easily be attached to my vac pole.

KurtV
07-16-2007, 08:08 PM
tYep, and those hard plastic bristles hurt like blue blazes when they stick in your hand while you're brushing them off the pump strainer basket.