PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Winter Closure of IG Pool

NevadaSteve
09-21-2011, 04:41 PM
I have a relatively new shotcrete IG pool which is going into it's second winter here in Reno NV. The first winter shut down I had the PB close it up for $400 (ouch!). They basically drained the water down below the tile line and skimmer inlets and hooked up a blower up to the pump lid and blew air through all the lines. They capped off the 2 skimmers first, put in teh expansion bottles in the skimmer outlets, and shut off the valve to the skimmers at the pump. Then, while still blowing into the pump, they plugged the returns, plugged and shut off the vac line valve at the pump, and then as the bottom drains bubbled, they shut off the bottom drain line valve. All seemed to go well. They added shock and algecidejust prior to blowing out the system. They also opened all the drain plugs on the pump, heater, etc. after all the blowing of lines.

My questions:

1) Is algaecide needed? I have not had any algae problems in my pool. I would assume shocking it will help and is necessary though.

2) I have a radial blower fan from an old bounce house which I want to use to blow out the lines......does this seem like enough air pressure and volume to get the job done? Can a big shop vac to the trick as well?

3) Can I get a replacement lid for an Pentair intelliflo pump which has a hose fitting in the center to blow out the lines through the pump or must I modify a new lid?

I'm a newbie to concrete pools but have had vinyl IG in the past in warmer areas where winterization was not necessary.

Thanks for any help!

PoolDoc
09-22-2011, 11:26 AM
+ Read the sticky.

+ If water temps are 75 or below, AND you have eliminated all algae, AND you have a solar opaque cover, THEN you don't need algaecide. Of course, if you those things aren't true, algaecide won't save you.

+ Did you know that ALL the high level competition diving boards used in the world are made in Sparks? The company began after WWII, using aluminum fighter wing construction.

Pipecrew
09-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Do you have an air compressor? I bought a rubber mallet for like 3 or 4 bucks. I drilled a hole through the middle of it. Make the hole big enough to get the end of a blow gun attachment for an air compressor. The rubber part of the mallet makes a pretty good seal on the end of the pool lines. Let the pressure build up in the compressor, make a good seal with the mallet and blow the water out of your lines. I've been doing this for about 12 years. It works great.

As far the blower or shop vac, I don't know if it will be strong enough. It might work, good luck.