PDA

View Full Version : Pool Light Troubleshooting

seasonal
09-18-2011, 06:03 AM
I can't get my pool light to come on. It is 12 volt, shows around 12 volts on meter at bulb socket, New bulb in hand but no joy. Is it poss. to show voltage but still have a problem with the circuit or transformer? Thi is First post, on NEW forum at least, so hope I get Moderated :-) soon.

aylad
09-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi,

i'm sorry that I can't answer your question, but someone who can give you some useful info should be along soon. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum!!

PoolDoc
09-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Yes, with a digital meter, you can show correct voltage, when there is actually no current available. If you are going to test that way, you have to test with a load.

I have limited experience trouble shooting lights -- and when I've done so, I typically have found a problem that was too expensive or extensive to be worth the cost of repair to the owner. So, I've ended up sort of steering clear of lights, since the owners usually don't want to pay for 2 hours of testing and troubleshooting, after they decide the light is not worth repairing. My typical dodge is to say, "You need to call an electrician".

But, if I was at your pool, and you managed to convince me I *did* want to check out your likes, I'd probably
+ disconnect the power supply leads at the box, and wire nut them together.
+ From the light fixture side, test resistance (OHMs) through the entire power supply loop.
+ From the light fixture side, test resistance FROM the power supply loop to the ground or light conduit.

If the power supply loop is low resistance (< 1 ohm) and there's no leakage to ground (>100K ohms), then the circuit is probably NOT the problem. I'd then try hooking a 12V bulb directly to the 12V (not 120V!!) power supply AT the box.

But, like I said, I've only done a little with lights. And, what I've usually found is current leakage on high voltage lights (120V) that's tripping the GFCI, and that because the conduit and junction was done badly, so that it's impossible to keep dry, the only solution is 100% conduit replacement from the breakers to the deck box. OR, if the leakage is on the lamp side of the deck box, the light was impossible to replace because the conduit had been crimped!

Ben