PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy

sunny8088
09-12-2011, 02:58 PM
I have 40K inground pool. It had Algae. I added algaecid, shoked several times, took water tests at stores 3-4 times ,

Now the store people say just wait for water to be clean. Waited 4-5 days , running the filter 10 hours daily in Florida.
Cleaned the filter every 2 hours still water wont clean.

Really frustrated. ( This is a saltwater pool)

Thanks for help in advance.

PoolDoc
09-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi Sunny;

Unfortunately, it's typical for pool store advice to be less than helpful.

But, you have not told us enough for us to be able to help. Do this:

#1 - Tell us what the problem is. Is the water green and cloudy?

#2 - Turn your pump on, and leave it on all the time, till the problem is fixed.

#3 - Get your water tested (or test it) and tell us the readings. At a minimum, we need to know chlorine, pH, and stabilizer levels.

#4 - Tell us what chemicals you've added during the last week.

sunny8088
09-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi Sunny;

Unfortunately, it's typical for pool store advice to be less than helpful.

But, you have not told us enough for us to be able to help. Do this:

#1 - Tell us what the problem is. Is the water green and cloudy?

#2 - Turn your pump on, and leave it on all the time, till the problem is fixed.

#3 - Get your water tested (or test it) and tell us the readings. At a minimum, we need to know chlorine, pH, and stabilizer levels.

#4 - Tell us what chemicals you've added during the last week.

Sure let me get back with details.

sunny8088
09-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Problem. Water is cloudy

Note: My pool is 15K gallon , concrete, Location : Central Florida
Pump is running since 9/12 till today
I DONOT have pool vaccume

History of events:
9/11 : water was greenish / cloudy
added algaecid after 1 hour 2 shocks
clean filer every 4 hours, brush walls/floor
test at shop , they said wait till it gets clear

9/12 : Water light green / cloudy
tested at shop she told me to shock with 2 bags
Following are the reading on 9/12 evening

9/13 : Water is blueish / clody

9/14 : Water is blueish / cludy

Reading on 9/12 evening @ shop
Temp : 80"
Saturation Indx : 0.2
TDS : 4500
CYA : 70
Tot Chlorine : 9
Free Chlorine: 6
Ph : 7.6
Tot Alkalinity: 108
Adj Alka : 87
Tot Hardness : 302
Minerals : 3100

Let me know if you need more details
Thanks in advance for help.

PoolDoc
09-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Ok. Doesn't look like you have any serious problems.

Do this:
#1 - Order a K2006 (Amazon link below) or other DPD-FAS kit (the others are MUCH more expensive) so you can test levels of chlorine above 5ppm accurately. (Dealer 'guess' strips are bad; consumer 'guess' strips are worse.
#2 - Purchase an inexpensive OTO / phenol red kit locally (you'll still use this even AFTER the K2006 arrives).
#3 - Order or purchase locally a vacuum head, pole and hose. You ALSO need a nylon brush, to brush algae spots when they occur.
#4 - Add 3 gallons of plain 6% household bleach daily, until the water is clear. If the OTO kit shows "orange" or "orange-yellow", skip that day's dose.
#5 - Continue to run your pump 24/7 till the water is clear.
#6 - Read the "Best Guess" page (linked below) and then, once you have the K2006, set your 'normal' chlorine level using the chart on that page AND your CYA (stabilizer) test results.
#7 - Let us know how it goes (and your first K2006 results). By the way, do NOT test CYA more than you need to (1x month, maybe?) since the K2006 only includes enough reagent for testing CYA a few times.

sunny8088
09-14-2011, 10:17 AM
It will take few days for KIT to arrive
My question is "6% household bleach daily" !!! My chlorine level's are already high ? just a thought .

Thanks for reply

PoolDoc
09-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Read the page: http://poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess-swimming-pool-chlorine-chart.html

You probably STILL have some live algae (since you haven't vacuumed or brushed) and your high CC level (TC - FC) indicates there are still water problems chlorine can fix. BUT, most pool store "shock" is either a mess of pool-voo-doo-doo chemicals OR contains stabilizer. Your stabilizer is ALREADY high enough.

Of course, both the CC and the high CYA could be test errors, but we won't be able to tell, till you get the kit.