PDA

View Full Version : Push / Pull Backwash Valve Repair

jskins2000
09-07-2011, 06:22 PM
I recently discovered (through the smart folks on this forum) that I have a leak. When the pump is running and the backwash valve is in the filter position I have water leaking out. I assume this is most likely due to a damaged o-ring in the valve. Would the members have any suggestions for replacing these o-rings myself? Or should it only be done by a professional?

Thanks so much.

waste
09-08-2011, 02:08 PM
The o-ring changing is easy. It's getting the unit apart that can be a little difficult.

If the o-ring tore, the ends can get caught/ pinched by the plate they're supposed to seal making the judicious use of brute force about the only way to get the shaft out (though twisting the handle back and forth whilst pulling does help).

Assuming you can get it out change all the o-rings, if one failed who's to say that another won't go next week? Apply a little silicon or Teflon based lube to the new rings (don't stretch them, just gently rub a little lube onto the surface).

If this gives you any trouble - just give a holler.

jskins2000
09-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks Ted,
I have my pool covered under home warranty so they are going to come out and fix this. This prevents me from making things worse. Thanks so much