PDA

View Full Version : High PH level while shocking pool question??

Pipecrew
09-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm in the process of shocking my pool. It is very GREEN at the moment.

My readings at the moment are:

Cl: 3.6
PH 8.2
ALK 97

I have a 16x32 Grecian shaped, with center stairs, vinyl pool, sand filter. 3ft shallow, 8ft deep end, bowl shaped walls in the deep end. I'm guessing my gallons af water is between 15,000 and 19,000 (anyone care to guess my Gal of water????).

I bought about 10 jugs of 6% bleach tonight to shock it. I usually notice a spike in PH levels when I shock it. I have added 3 lbs of shock in the last 2 days.

My question is, with a PH of 8.2 should I lower the PH with muriatic acid (if so how much? and how long before I retest??) or go ahead and add the bleach with the PH at 8.2????

Thanks

aylad
09-04-2011, 02:07 PM
If you tested the pH while the chlorine was low, then I would go ahead and lower it before bringing the pool back up to shock level. I would start with about 2 cups of muriatic acid, poured very slowly into the return stream so it does not splash on you, the pool, or anywhere else...give it about 2 hours to circulate, and then test again. Depending on how far the pH moved, that will tell you how much more to add. I would try to target about 7.6 for the pH. Do this before bringing the chlorine level back up, because once your chlorine levels get above about 10 ppm, your pH test may give you a false high and cause you to add more acid than necessary.

How high are you taking your chlorine when you shock the pool? What is your stabilizer level?