PDA

View Full Version : 6 Way Valve Not Functioning

let_her_flicker
05-13-2006, 09:42 PM
I have a Pentair Sand Dollar SD-40 filter. Last year I noticed water seeping from under the handle. In the early spring I removed the valve top assembly (which) included the diverter). To do this, I had to remove the screw from the handle first. Then I was able to look at what might be leaking. I lubed the diverter shaft o-ring with jack's and put the assembly back together and reinstalled.

Well today when I tried to start up, the filter did not fuction properly. Water was not coming out the return on filter. Pressure was zero. Would not backwash when handle was placed in the backwash position. Any recommendations?

JohnT
05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Sounds like the filter isn't primed. If the basket won't fill, fill it with water from the hose to get water in the pipes.

GHM
05-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Was it working properly after you rebuilt it? If not, you may have assembled it incorrectly? if the top diverter section was not put on in the exact same position that it originally was, it woud not work.
Usually there are some alignment marks for getting the top on properly. If there are no alignment marks, then you will have to figure it out by studying how the water flows through the ports. I find this easest by putting the handle in the waste position. Then try to find the position that provides a path through the valve that directs the water straight from the inlet to the outlet.

George

let_her_flicker
05-14-2006, 10:12 AM
John T - I insured the water level was high enough this am. I did have a pressure reading. Thanks!

GHM - I took note of the handle position. As I recall, the m.v.p. did have an alignment position. I also think the diverter would rotate on its own. It seems I am one position off. It appears it is filtering in the waste mode with water flowing through skimmer. Pressure is 16 lbs. Water goes to waste in closed position. In the backwash position pressure is 16 lbs and water flows through skimmer (this is the position after closed and I was curious that water was flowing into the skimmer and out waste hose). In the recirculate it appears system is backwashing with water going through the waste hose. In rinse mode no water flows through skimmer and pressure builds to 20 lbs and no water in waste hose either. In the filter mode, waster flows through waste hose.

MPV Positions going clockwise Filter - Waste - Closed - Backwash - Recirculate - Rinse

Question - is there any way to tell the difference between the ASSUMED filtering mode with pressure of 16lbs (handle in on waste) and the recirculate mode w/pressure of 16lbs (handle is on backwash)

I hope I have not confused you or anyone else viewing this post. Thanks in advance for the comments.