PDA

View Full Version : Help with above ground pool

rodriguezfamily
08-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Hello we were planning on putting in a inground pool and were just told by the city that we have a storm drain runnimg through the areaof the back yard the pool was going to go. But they are saying I can put in an above ground pool because I am not disturbing the Earth. I am wondering if it is even worth it and where is a good place to look for above ground pools. Thank you for your time and help

Rodney

PoolDoc
08-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Many people here have been (and are) happy AG pool users and owners. I'll let them answer you.

AnnaK
08-31-2011, 07:15 AM
My approach was to visit at several large pool stores that have AGPs on display and just talk to the people. There are so very many options in AGPs that it's really hard to offer general input. Round or oval? Hard sided or soft sided? How big? I found talking with salespeople at the various stores very helpful.

BigDave
08-31-2011, 09:04 AM
When considering which pool to buy, remember that the price of the pool is just a part of your installed cost. You'll also have the pool builder, the electrician, maybe a plumber for gas heat, and landscaping. Perhaps you can find a pool builder that will do everything. The installation costs are pretty much set by pool size and shape but quotes will vary widely from one contractor to another. Price points in similar sized AG pools follow the quality of the components and materials used for the components. A pool with large, resin verticals, bases, seats and top and bottom rails should cost more (and last longer) than one with smaller all steel components. Consider that the cost of a more expensive pool kit is somewhat diluted by the fixed costs of installation.

Many AG pools are sold with inadequate / inappropriate filtration / circulation, check back here when you know what size / shape pool you want for more detailed advice about filtration / circulation. Generally AG pools are sold with filters that are too small and pumps that are to large (Who wouldn't want 1.5 HP instead of 3/4 HP? - really me you and anyone else).

Also don't go for any mineral - low/no chlorine systems. Pools stores like to sell 'em but they really don't help and are very likely to cause problems operating your pool.

Watermom
08-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Go for the biggest AG pool you have space for and can afford. Nobody ever says they wish they had a smaller pool.

BigDave
08-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Also make sure your plan is within the local code's set-backs from the property line and house - I had to change my plan after talking to the town.

BigTallGuy
02-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Having owned a number of AG pools over the years, from a 15' to an 18' to finally a 24' pool, I can easily say that I wouldn't own anything else. Here are a few pointers.

1, Watermom is absolutely correct, the biggest pool you can legally fit into your space is the way to go.

2, Have it professionally installed, and make sure you get a permit for any electrical or plumbing work.

3, Make sure you get a filter that is rated for a pool that is larger than the one you are buying. Sand filters are my personal preference.

4, Once you're pool is up, try using the BBB method before being "pool stored" into buying a bunch of things you don't need.