PDA

View Full Version : Pump Controller/Timers

bucky4835
08-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Hello. My family and I have never owned a swimming pool before but have had spas for about 13 years. We are looking at buying an above ground sometime before spring but I am trying to do some research before hand. One of the questions I have right now is what are people using to control the filter pump? Are they using a simple on/off timer, a controller to control the speed of the pump(two-Speed pumps), or leaving them on 24-7? I have not found much info on this or the amount of time people are running them. I do understand it would depend on the size of the pool and GPH/M of the pump for water turnover. Thanks

Jim

Poconos
08-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Running pumps 24/7 is usually just a waste of money so cross off that one. I think most use a simple on/off timer with multiple settings so it can be set to run a couple tiimes a day if desired. They are also by far the cheapest and easiest to install. I am not familiar with more sophisticated controllers so won't comment on them but I think for your purpose the on/off will be good enough. You can always upgrade later. Two speeds are becoming more popular and would be a good idea if you want to go the extra expense. On low speed you get better filtering because you're operating the filter well below it's max capacity and cutting your electrical cost too. For vacuuming and backwashing you have the high speed. The only disadvantage of the simple on/off is it lacks pump protection if the water level drops for some reason. You could run dry. That could happen if a hose blows for example. I suspect the more sophisticated controllers monitor this but am not sure. Then again, I don't recall anyone posting about ruining a pump this way in all my years on the forum. You'll get other comments I'm sure.
Your upfront homework will pay off.
Al

bucky4835
08-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I believe I will start off with the simple stuff then change later is needed.

Poconos
09-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Good plan. As you get familiar with your pool and figure how to best operate 'your' pool, you can add later to best meet your needs.
Good Luck.
Al

bucky4835
09-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Thank you Poconos for the info.

Jim