PDA

View Full Version : Pump troubleshooting

76bronco
08-27-2011, 09:59 AM
I've got a approximately 2 year old Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 hp pump. Yesterday I noticed that the pump had tripped breaker (it's practically alone on the breaker, ocassionaly some lights ). When you reset the breaker the pump will run and move water, but it sounds like it's running bogged down and within 30 seconds will trip the breaker again. I felt inside the housing and it doesn't feel like the impeller is blocked and the fact that it is moving water leads me to believe the impeller is moving.
Matching hayward sand filter and pressure gauge reading between 10 and 15 psi which is normal for my AG 18ft round pool.
Where should I start?
Thanks in advance.

Brian

PoolDoc
08-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Sounds like a problem that can be fixed with a new motor!

Possibly, there may be some repairs that can be done. Send in the model number & make of the MOTOR (not the whole pump) and if possible, some pics of the motor, motor label and motor end housing, and we'll see if we can work it out.

76bronco
08-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Hope this helps. Let me know if you still want the motor end housing pics too.
Thanks for the help.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KLSXJh6UdACq33YhHwQ7-g?feat=directlink

PoolDoc
08-30-2011, 09:00 AM
The link you used is a bad one -- I tested it directly, and it goes to a "no page" error at Google. -Ben

76bronco
08-30-2011, 10:20 AM
sorry. hopefully this one works
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/brianlowry/fr_697_size580.jpg

Poconos
08-30-2011, 05:27 PM
I replied to your initial post the other day and somehow it didn't make it. So, I'll try again.
After the breaker trips and the motor is stopped, does it feel excessively hot? Also do you smell anything like overheated insulation or burnt wiring? That could indicate a shorted turn or turns on the motor windings. I doubt it though. Could be a breaker that has gone bad too. When the pump is running listen at the power panel for a buzz or some noise from the breaker and when it does trip does it feel warm? Is it a GFCI type breaker? That would be more prone to failure. If it's a regular breaker then possibly the contacts have gotten crummy and developed a high resistance and it's heating up. They will trip on overcurrent or thermally if the load slightly exceeds the rating. Changing the breaker is a relatively cheap try. Sometimes the mechanism will just go bad and they'll trip below their rating. Since you said the pressure is right and it's pumping OK you can rule out any problem with the motors starting circuit.
Let's get comments on my suggestions and we'll go further.
Al

BigDave
08-30-2011, 07:12 PM
What's the rating of the breaker? 13.8 is pretty close to 15. How far from the panel? Cord Length? Wire guage? I'd guess that if it's a 15 Amp breaker and the breaker is pretty far from the outlet (wire length) with 14 ga wire and an extension cord and a couple lights - you could be drawing more than 15 Amps. Or, maybe not.

76bronco
09-02-2011, 03:09 PM
It's a 15 amp breaker and pretty far from the panel. I'll admit it's not done correctly.
It's a heavy guage extension cord run into an outlet in the garage. We're in the process in getting a new subpanel put into the garage so the pool is on it's own circuit much closer than all the way in the house.
But it's been working like this for a long time and all of the sudden now it doesn't work?
What I've done since posting....
I've had the motor checked now and the windings were recoated and baked, bearings replaced and resealed and I've replaced the 15 amp breaker with a new one and we're still tripping the breaker..
Any thoughts?
thanks
brian

PoolDoc
09-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Check your voltage at the pump, with the motor running. If the voltage is low -- I'm betting it is -- that's a motor killer.

However, if you check the extension cord, and it's anything smaller than 12-3 . . . you'll need to replace the cord.

Poconos
09-02-2011, 08:44 PM
If you have access to a clamp-on ampmeter then measure the actual current the motor draws. The current will change with motor loading. That along with the voltage at the motor like Ben suggested will tell you the true facts of your pumps operation. You are near the breakers trip point, according to the motor plate, and that's not so good.
Al

BigDave
09-03-2011, 10:14 AM
The change over time may be attributable to normal wear and tear if you've been using the same extension cable. Cable insulation can breakdown over time due to exposure and heat. Heat increases resistance in cable. Resistance lowers voltage. AC motors spin at a fixed speed and will use as much power as necessary to keep that speed. so... as cable heats up, resistance goes up, voltage goes down, as voltage goes down, current (Amps) goes up because Volts * Amps = Watts (Power) and power is fixed.

As Ben points out, low voltage will kill your motor this is because the windings are sized for a certain amount of current when current goes up the windings overheat and ... time for a new motor. Ben's right that a larger extension cord may help, 12/3 may not be enough depending on length (resistance is also a function of length). Be aware, 10 guage cords are very expensive.

moriskod
09-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Did you have the motor capacitor checked?? I would assume that was done with the other work.

Interesting problem!