PDA

View Full Version : Slight green tint

TfromNC
05-13-2006, 05:34 PM
I have already done a search and nothing seems to fit my prob. I opened up last week. Adjusted my cya and ph and alk. Ran pool for a week at 6hrs a day. Checked again today and #'s are good accept the chlorine level. I added proper amount of bleach according to the Bleach Calc. Now my pool has a slight green tint to it. Not real bad but just enough to tick me off. Here are the #'s after I added the bleach:
FC=8
CC=.5
TC=8
pH=7.5
Alk=110
Cya=45
temp= approx 60
BTW, pool is 12x24 IG, vinyl with about 9800 gallons volume. Sand filtered.

duraleigh
05-13-2006, 06:06 PM
T,

Run your Cl levels up to 15ppm. That'll shock the pool, getting rid of that lingering CC you have (you probably smell a little Cl when you walk around the pool now...this'll get rid of it).

It will also clear up the little bit of algae (that's the green you see) you have left. Run your pump 24/7 and bring the Cl up to 15 each evening (or as often as you like...it'll clear quicker) 'til your water turns clear.

Then let your Cl drift on back down to a maintenance level of around 3-6ppm. Keep it there all Summer and you'll probably not shock again 'til next Spring. :)

CarlD
05-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Then, if Dave S's advice doesn't work (it should work), have your water checked for copper and other metals.

But assume it's algae first that you have to kill before testing for metals.

duraleigh
05-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi, Carl,

Not to hijack this thread but Poolsean said the same thing in another post about green water and copper. I am not aware that copper turns the water green. Of course it turns hair green when it precipitates and it stains blue and green on the pool when it precipitates, but it is not clear to me that it gives you green water while it is still in suspension.

Another aside, "Thank You", for the nice compliment you posted on my pool. :)

TfromNC
05-13-2006, 07:06 PM
After looking again in lower light, the pool looks a little more reddish than geen. I live in NC and deal with red clay. The lot next door is being built on andis bare. It was windy this afternoon also. So I am thinking the red dust from the lot next door blew in my pool and is now suspended in the water. I brushed the bottom and a reddish cloud rose up. Should I still raise my chlorine level to 15ppm?

day1
05-13-2006, 07:16 PM
I'd vac the bottom and see what happens....I get the same thing from the street behind our property. Couple gallons of bleach wouldn't hurt if you think you have an algae bloom, but definitely keep at shock level if needed.

waterbear
05-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Hi, Carl,

Not to hijack this thread but Poolsean said the same thing in another post about green water and copper. I am not aware that copper turns the water green. Of course it turns hair green when it precipitates and it stains blue and green on the pool when it precipitates, but it is not clear to me that it gives you green water while it is still in suspension.

Another aside, "Thank You", for the nice compliment you posted on my pool. :)
A clear green tint to the water can be an indicator of excess copper.