PDA

View Full Version : Mesh winter covers for above ground pools?

Nectarologist
08-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Hello. I need to buy a new winter cover and like the idea of a mesh cover so the snow will melt into the pool rather than pooling and needing to be drained like me current solid cover does. I'm afraid they might not be as durable as the solid covers. Any advice? Also what are your thoughts on the "good," "better," "best" covers? I don't put much stock in the warranties since I'm not going to ship it back to have it repaired but there is a significant cost difference from the cheapest to most expensive. I live in southeast NY so we get a decent amount of snow and freezing temps are common. Thanks so much!

PoolDoc
08-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Mesh covers come in 3 varieties: excellent, newbie, and not so good.

LoopLoc and Meyco have been making covers for as long as I've been in the pool business (25+ years) and make excellent products. The black/green mesh covers last 10+ years; the all black covers last a few years longer. I've installed dozens of LoopLoc covers on very large pools (up to 6,000 sft), including numerous replacement (after 10+ years) covers, and have always gotten good results.

I prefer LoopLoc to Meyco, simply because the Meyco straps are abrasive and tear up my hands if I forget to wear gloves.

Anchor has been making covers almost as long as LoopLoc and Meyco, but makes a cover that lasts half as long even though it costs nearly as much.

Everybody else (Cantar, etc.) is a Johnny-come-lately, and there covers haven't been out there long enough to be proven.

Nectarologist
08-22-2011, 11:15 AM
I would love to go with the loop loc but I only have decking around half the pool so it will have to be one of the regular above ground cover manufacturers that makes a mesh design. Any advice on those? Thanks :)

waste
08-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Don't be so quick to rule out Loop Loc (or any of the others), talk to them and see if they can design a cover for your pool. They may be able to accommodate your situation with longer "Y" straps or they may have figured out another way.

Please keep us informed as to your progress with this. :)

PoolDoc
08-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Sorry, I don't know about AG pool covers.

Ben

Nectarologist
08-23-2011, 09:26 AM
I wound up ordering a solid cover like I have now. I just have to be dilligent about taking some time each week to keep things ok (remove leaves, large amounts of water etc.). Thanks