PDA

View Full Version : Is there a grocery store substitute for PH reducer?

teja1946
05-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Is there a grocery store substitute for PH reducer?

Thanks

mwsmith2
05-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Not really, although you can buy muriatic acid at some grocery stores.

Michael

cygnusecks
05-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Micheal, first, thanks for the free calculator program, I use it all the time. But why does it not say how much Borax to add to raise pH? Can't I use it to raise pH?

CarlD
05-13-2006, 04:09 PM
pH reducer: Use Muriatic Acid, if not at a grocery store, almost all hardware stores and home centers (like Home Depot) carry it.

To raise pH, use ordinary 20 Mule Team Borax. I find that 1 lb (1/4 box) will usually raise my 20,000 gallons .1 or .2 points, like from 7.2 to 7.3 or 7.4.

MWSmith2 will have to explain how to figure Borax exactly in his program.

Do remember, though, that Total Alkalinity's job is to buffer changes in pH, so a higher T/A may mean you need more Borax to raise the pH.

mwsmith2
05-13-2006, 05:24 PM
MWSmith2 will have to explain how to figure Borax exactly in his program.

Please don't use the borax section of my program for pH adjustment. It's only included for those who wish to use borax as an additional algaecide, similar to pro team supreme.

Michael

CarlD
05-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Please don't use the borax section of my program for pH adjustment. It's only included for those who wish to use borax as an additional algaecide, similar to pro team supreme.

Michael

I had no idea. I defer to Michael on ALL issues regarding his bleach calculator.

cygnusecks
05-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I saw the warning on the Borax and pH pages about the numbers not having anything to do with Borax for pH.

Here's my question: In the next version of your great tool, can you include a calculator to figure how much Borax to add to a pool to raise its pH by .2 ?

Wayne LaBanca
05-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I saw the warning on the Borax and pH pages about the numbers not having anything to do with Borax for pH.

Here's my question: In the next version of your great tool, can you include a calculator to figure how much Borax to add to a pool to raise its pH by .2 ?

Seeing that Alk affects the ability to move the PH levels, I would imagine it would require some fancy programing where you would tell the program what the Alk is and it could figure how much the pH would move based on that.

Hmm, you may have to start charging for this thing. :)

cygnusecks
05-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Ah, does Borax affect Alk? If so then yeah I can see how that would be a little more difficult to calculate...

mwsmith2
05-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes, borax affects alk, but to a lesser extent that soda ash (the usual pH up) does. The reason it only gives .2 increases in pH is because it doesn't account for alk...and that's the furthest you can move it and be reasonably accurate without that info. Actually what it's making you do is add a little bit and test...just like you're supposed to. ;)

I'd add a section in there for using borax for pH control, but I don't have a formula, and don't have a way to develop one. Sorry guys! :(

Michael

cygnusecks
05-17-2006, 04:24 PM
I see.. yeah understood about the .2 thing, good thinking :-)

So is soda ash as cheap as borax and as easily available?

mwsmith2
05-17-2006, 05:03 PM
You can use soda ash but it is going to skyrocket your alk. That's why we use borax.

Michael