PDA

View Full Version : Just Getting Started here

les_garten
08-17-2011, 02:56 AM
Hello,
I live in South Fl and am looking for information about pH controllers.

Nice Forum!

Les

Watermom
08-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Hello and welcome to the Pool Forum! What specifically did you want to know about pH controllers?

PoolDoc
08-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Just a caution -- I used to be a dealer for a couple of models of pH/ORP controller . . . and they really do less than they are marketed to do.

#1 - ORP based control of chlorine is NOT reliable on outdoor pools UNLESS you run without stabilizer, and virtually all controllers depend on ORP (redox) electrodes as their primary chlorine control input.

#2 - pH electrodes can be EXTREMELY accurate, but ONLY if they are regularly calibrated. On a controller, this means at least 2x per season. Do not buy a controller if you are told it's calibration free: they are either lying or ignorant. Do ask about how calibration is carried out on the unit you are interested in.

#3 - pH control, on all controllers I've ever seen, is mono-directional, and can either add acid or base, but not both. Depending on your chlorine regimen, your pH drift could be EITHER up or down. You need to know which direction you need before you get your controller.

#4 - Using CO2 for pH control (as an acid -- carbonic acid) tends to lead to out-of-control levels of alkalinity.

#5 - Use of commercial muriatic acid tends to lead to severe corrosion of all metals and wiring in the vicinity of the acid tank or bottle.

les_garten
08-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi,
I'm looking for a reasonably priced outdoor capable probe that would turn on and off a Stenner dosing pump/MA Tank.

I'm looking to see if there is an alternative to the Aquarite pro sense and dispense, because the sense and dispense board seems expensive to me.

PoolDoc
08-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi,
I'm looking for a reasonably priced outdoor capable probe that would turn on and off a Stenner dosing pump/MA Tank.

Decent ORP/pH control systems are costly . . . and they still have all the problems I mentioned above. Cheaper units have additional problems. I think you may be looking for an "elephapottamus" -- a beast that doesn't exist.

Ben

les_garten
08-18-2011, 12:32 PM
OK,
What problems are associated with the Hayward AquaRite pro system and the sense and dispense? I am not interested in ORP.

PoolDoc
08-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Covered above, already. It's a pH / ORP system, with a SWCG and a conductivity probe. So, the list above applies, but with the additional complications of an external conductivity probe.

BTW, you may not be interested in the ORP control, but it's bundled. As far as I know, the only pH only controllers will be marketed industrially, and not by the pool industry.

Ben

les_garten
08-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Covered above, already. It's a pH / ORP system, with a SWCG and a conductivity probe. So, the list above applies, but with the additional complications of an external conductivity probe.

BTW, you may not be interested in the ORP control, but it's bundled. As far as I know, the only pH only controllers will be marketed industrially, and not by the pool industry.

Ben

Gotcha.

I understand everything you said above. I've been looking into this for a while. I was trying to avoid a SWG with pH dosing features like Total Control or Aquarite Pro. Mostly because I didn't necessarily want to buy their SWG, and I didn't want both systems going dead at the same time (SWG and pH).

My pH drift will drift up as far as I can tell. I live in FL, it rains a lot, I have a water feature, and I want to do SWG. I add acid, that's kinda what I do.

I have a heater that I want to get rid of, so I can have a spot well away from any metal. I'm pretty set on the Stenner PUMP/Tank.

I don't want to get into the Total control because of the cash outlay, so it looks like the only way to go is the AQ Pro.

I looked at all the other controllers(Industrial/Instrument quality) and they are expensive, and some not made for outdoors.

The Sense/Dispense uses the CAT Probe/Manifold setup.

I've read quite a bit about this system and haven't found a lot of things to dissuade me. What are your thoughts on that system?

I also was looking to see if there was a DIY system for Sense/Dispense that someone has done, but haven't found one yet.

I think a neat idea would be a Linksys Router running Linux with a USB interface to a pH Sensor and a method to turn the pump on/off. Then I could watch it wirelessly inside the house.

PoolDoc
08-18-2011, 11:10 PM
I think a neat idea would be a Linksys Router running Linux with a USB interface to a pH Sensor and a method to turn the pump on/off. Then I could watch it wirelessly inside the house.

Les, this is about tinkering, not pools.

There's a guy -- Richard Kinch -- who did TrueTex, who's been doing some sophisticated tinkering for more than 10 years, and recorded it here: http://www.truetex.com/poolcontrol.htm . He's even driving some of his control functions with Bash shell scripting.

Check it out. It's more along the line of what you're looking for.

Sincerely,

Ben

les_garten
08-19-2011, 01:03 AM
Les, this is about tinkering, not pools.

There's a guy -- Richard Kinch -- who did TrueTex, who's been doing some sophisticated tinkering for more than 10 years, and recorded it here: http://www.truetex.com/poolcontrol.htm . He's even driving some of his control functions with Bash shell scripting.

Check it out. It's more along the line of what you're looking for.

Sincerely,

Ben

Heh Yeah you're right!

I had read that page, he lives close tome as well I think.

Thanx!