PDA

View Full Version : BBB and salt systems?

johninmartinez
08-09-2011, 11:01 PM
On one of the links provided in one of the BBB threads, it led me to the "sister site" (I think) where I found the following statement:

<<< In particular, it referred to one of my pool tips, about using grocery chemicals -- Bleach, Borax and Baking soda -- to treat swimming pools salt water system or “salt water chlorine generator” (SWCG, SWG) is used to replace traditional chlorine with chlorine produced from salt in the pool water.>>>

Notwithstanding some missing words or punctuation somewhere, this seems to say that BBB is only for pools that use salt systems, not traditional chlorine systems. But from the other threads I've read, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Could someone clarify for me?

kelemvor
08-10-2011, 09:28 AM
I think what they're trying to say is that the swcg should replace the bleach in bbb.

I think it's just identifying one possible way you can go. I believe BBB is truly intended for "regular" non swg pools and gets adapted more or less on swcg.

johninmartinez
08-10-2011, 09:59 AM
thanks for clarifying.

AnnaK
08-10-2011, 11:13 AM
That statement just says that a SWCG can be a source of chlorine.

I don't have a SWCG and don't know a whole lot about them but just from reading here I've observed that water chemistry still needs to be adjusted occasionally. That means people with chlorine generators do use BBB&W&M (bleach, baking soda, borax, washing soda, muriatic acid) to manage pH and TA and I do know they use a liquid form of chlorine if they have to shock the pool or raise the FCs because the generator isn't keeping up.

BBB and SWCGs are not mutually exclusive. SWCGs are one way of introducing bleach to a pool. BBB is a philosophy: test your own water, understand the basic principles of pool water chemistry, get nearly all you'll ever need to put in the water in the grocery department, take control of your pool.

Whether you use Clorox, concentrated liquid chlorine, tabs, or a SWCG you still have to have a grasp on pH, stabilizer, buffer, calcium requirements; you have to know your pool.

Off my soap box :)