PDA

View Full Version : Best Levels of Water Chemistry

goldslinger
08-03-2011, 10:56 PM
I read the BBB , and the 'Best Guess,'

Do I go by My newly purchased Taylor Kit for recommendations for Alkalinity, PH, and CYA?

Does anyone have or can link Me to any recommendations?

My pool is an in ground vinyl, 24,000gallon.

FC = 11.00
TCC = 11.50
PH = 7.4
ALK = 130
CYA = 85

Thank You in advance; learning alot already ! !

Gary Gipson

Watermom
08-03-2011, 11:03 PM
You want your pH to be between 7.2-7.8. We usually recommend alk to be between 80-120ish but yours is fine at 130. CYA at 85 is a little high but not a problem as long as you keep your chlorine levels where they should be based on the Best Guess chart. I wouldn't use any stabilized forms of chlorine, however, such as trichlor pucks or dichlor powder.

I see the subscription thing got worked out.

goldslinger
08-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks, Watermom !

Yea, it appears everything worked out.

I am going to vacuum to waste the settling silt in My pool. That should help a tiny bit with the CYA. I want to wean Myself off of the Trichlor tabs (because of the CYA and it lowering My PH) and using liquid bleach now. Found some 25 Mule Team Borax to bring up the PH from 7.2 to 7.4 Next Year, I'm ripping out the Hayward chlorinator (doesn't work with a 2 speed motor set on low anyway), and either use bleach every other Day or calcium Hypochlorite tabs in the skimmer and run the pump on low 24/7. My last Hayward Gold only lasted 3.5 years. I'm wondering if the chlorinator was constricting it too much. Anyway, I find the Hayward autochlorinator near worthless, anyway, and I was tired of getting gassed every time I took the lid off.

Gary