PDA

View Full Version : Installing a new pool, looking for information on UV sanitization systems

Rakfiddad
08-01-2011, 01:12 PM
I am installing an aluminum above ground, 26' pool and I would like to reduce the chlorine used to clean the pool. I thought salt water would be a bad idea given the aluminum pool so I wanted to research a UV system instead. I would like any information on this

Is this a good system for this size pool? What manufacturer(s) should I be looking at? (I want to be sure that I can still buy parts in 5 years). Are the bulbs standardized or is a custom bulb that i must buy from the original UV light company? i am just learning so any information is appreciated. thanks

PoolDoc
08-01-2011, 01:50 PM
We've been there and covered that topic fully just a month ago, here:
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?12864

Bottom line facts:

#1 - Salt pools *ARE* chlorinated pools, always. Zero exceptions. The salt generators are actually SWCG: Salt Water Chlorine Generators. Essentilly, you have your own little chlorine factory converting salt to pool chlorine!

#2 - UV systems are NEVER pool sanitation systems . . . because a pool sanitation system has to treat the water in the MIDDLE of the pool. UV exists only in the contact chamber.

#3 - UV system can have some real benefits on indoor pools, but they are essentially useless on outdoor pools.

#4 - At the PoolForum, we do not provide support or advice on operating an outdoor pool using 'chlorine alternatives' for a very simple reason: such systems are neither safe nor effective! (Bromine systems can be, but they are sort of a "What's the point" system. They provide no benefit over chlorine, and have slightly more 'toxic' byproducts.)