PDA

View Full Version : Pump run time

jackinlv
07-30-2011, 12:05 PM
A local "pool school" instructor stated in a class that you should run your filter pump during the day (assuming you are not running it 24 hrs) and not at night. I prefer to run the pump early in the A.M. so it doesn't run during the heat of the day (Las Vegas). Which way do you recommend or does it matter at all.

Phillbo
07-30-2011, 01:34 PM
I run mine based on the cost of the electricity ... In my area rates go way down between 9pm and 9am so I run mine on 2 cycles 9-12 in the evening and again 6-9 in the morning. If I did not need to run the pump to generate chlorine I could probably get away with one 4 hour cycle to keep the pool clean and I'd do that in the middle of the night.

In Vegas it probably helps to keep the water temp down if you run it at night too..

jackinlv
08-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Phillbo;
That was my logic. To cut down on heat wear and tear for the pump, run the pump (at least in the summer) when it was cooler. the pool people seem to think you had to run it during the day because that was when algae was formed. Electricity rates are flat here (for now) so the cost would be the same.