PDA

View Full Version : How do you shock w/o ticking everyone off???

4toads
07-28-2011, 08:11 PM
I recently found this forum and have been doing the BBB method since we opened the pool this spring. So far everything is going well. I just saw a couple small patches (about the size of a palm) on the pool bottom. My question is...

If I have to shock the pool it will take it out of commission for a couple of days because of the high chlorine level. It's in the high nineties here,so if I have to tell everyone they can't use the pool I will have to run for the hills....How do you guys shock in prime swimming weather???? Help!

PoolDoc
07-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Are you talking about a commercial pool, subject to inspection?

If not, and if you stay within the parameters of the 'Best Guess' chart (see link in sig) I don't really see why shocking would require everyone out. Now, if you've got swimmers wearing $300 Gottex bikinis, maybe. But usually that crowd's on the deck, not in the pool.

4toads
07-28-2011, 09:25 PM
LOL...no, we're just regular people in a regular pool with cut off jeans.......I thought when a pool is shocked the chlorine level has to be very high, as in about 12-15ppm to kill bacteria and algae. Wouldn't that be considered to high a level to put our bodies in???......I don't want us all to get out looking like albino people......

PoolDoc
07-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Read the "Best Guess" page -- I think it covers all that.

Ben

CarlD
07-28-2011, 11:57 PM
In other words, no. It's safe.

4toads
07-29-2011, 07:27 AM
thank you