PDA

View Full Version : How do i lower the TA and bring up the pH?

DirtRider67
07-26-2011, 08:26 PM
So my pool has been looking fantastic. My latest issues is trying to lower my TA and raise my pH at the same time. I tested with my k6000 and got this.
TA-140
pH-7.4
FC-5.5

I took a sample to the pool store and got this.
TA-130
pH-6.9
CYA-20
TH-350
TC-5.6
FC-5.6

So who's numbers do I trust? Anyway, they recommended raising the pH and then lowering the TA together with the pH. Kinda nervous because my k-6000 measured my pH at 7.4. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Watermom
07-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Trust your own readings. Do you have a Taylor K-6000 or a K-2006?

DirtRider67
07-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Hi Watermom. I'm sorry, i have the k2006. i will go by readings as suggested. I feel pretty confident that i am doing it right. Good news is that my pool is sparkling clean. It looks better now than it ever has. Thanks for all the support. Now, how do i lower the TA without lowering the pH? LOL

MikeyG
07-27-2011, 01:57 AM
I think Acid is the common method to bring TA up, but obviously will bring PH down with it. Adding acid lowers the PH and the TA. Then aeration raises the PH without changing TA. TA is hard to bring down it seems, but when its down you should have less PH problems.

CarlD
07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
no, acid does NOT raise TA. Baking soda and washing soda do. The former is familiar but sold by pool stores as "TA Increaser". The latter is less well known but is sold in the laundry section of supermarkets. It too is sold by pool stores as "pH Up!" or "Balance Pak 200" at inflated prices.
TA WILL rise if you add Borax to raise pH, but that's a function of measurement: TA reads higher at higher pH levels.

The only way to increase pH without increase the TA reading is by aeration.

Carl

DirtRider67
07-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the valuable info. I checked the pH again this morning and it's perfect. I did'nt check the AT but i did check CYA and it was a little above 30. I will try the aeration later today by shooting the water through the air somehow. thanks again.

Watermom
07-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Take a look at the following guides. They may be helpful to you.

Lowering Alkalinity Step-by-Step (http://poolsolutions.com/gd/lowering-swimming-pool-alkalinity-step-by-step.html)

Using Muriatic Acid Safely (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?13111-Using-Muriatic-Acid-to-Safely-Lower-Your-Pool-s-pH.html)