PDA

View Full Version : High CL with Cover

aswetich
05-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Since my CYA is at 60 I have been keeping the FC between 5.5-6.5. I always leave the cover open when shocking but since I need to keep my FC a bit high due to the CYA will the 5.5-6.5 level affect the cover if I close it ? Can I lower my base FC level and use the polyquate to control Algae instead ?

Thanks

JohnT
05-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Without knowing what kind of cover you have, I can't comment on that.

As to reducing chlorine requirements by adding polyquat, no way. Chlorine isn't just to control algae. It is also to destroy bacteria and viruses in the pool, and polyquat doesn't help control them.

aswetich
05-12-2006, 09:15 AM
It is an electric cover. (CoverStar)

ivyleager
05-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Can I lower my base FC level and use the polyquate to control Algae instead ?

Thanks

I, too, have extremely high CYA(100ppm) and run my FC >5. I do not run it as high as recommended on the Best Guess Guide. I do add polyquat about 2x/month as a regular maintenance dose. I also manually vacuum weekly, as well as run my pump pretty much 24/7. I have not had an algae problem since opening last year. Have used the above pool program since. I test my water every evening and keep Cl above 5ppm. It works for me. Some may say I've been lucky. Maybe so, but until this system fails me, I will continue.

Hope this helps.

CaryB
Go 'Canes!