PDA

View Full Version : ProTeam Supreme

teja1946
05-12-2006, 08:19 AM
I was told by our local pool store that if I used 50 lbs. of ProTeam Supreme in my 25,000 gallons pool that I would never again have the algae problem I had this spring when I opened my pool. It was green with algae floating. Does anyone think he is right?

JohnT
05-12-2006, 08:27 AM
I was told by our local pool store that if I used 50 lbs. of ProTeam Supreme in my 25,000 gallons pool that I would never again have the algae problem I had this spring when I opened my pool. It was green with algae floating. Does anyone think he is right?

Any company that overprices and sells laundry detergent as an algaecide will lie to you about how it works. ProTeam Supreme is the exact same thing as borax. You can buy it in grocery store in the laundry aisle. It is, at best, a marginal algaecide.

nater
05-12-2006, 09:34 AM
1). ProTeam=Borax=ProTeam=Borax.........(Borax is cheap, ProTeam is not)

2). According to the bleach calc, that would give you almost 100 ppm Tetraborates, or twice as much as "recommended" on this forum. Unfourtunately, there's a lack of good data around the algecstatic properties of high concentrations of Tetraborates in pool water. People use it to increase pH without increasing Alkalinity, any other benefits are considered a bonus. Do a search for Borax here for all kinds of good info....

4). On Pool Solutions, Ben offers his thoughts on algecides here: http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/tip08.html

Sounds like you've come very close to being "Poolstored"! :(