PDA

View Full Version : Increasing TA

thorn138
07-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Based on the my Taylor test kit, my TA is low (50) and after putting values into the pool calculator with a TA target of 100, the calculator advises me to add 14 pounds of Baking Soda to raise my level.

I finally got my ph in check with Muriatic acid and it reads 7.6...

I'd I put 14 pounds of baking soda in, won't it raise my ph?

Isn't 14 pounds alot?

My FC is barely one and I've been adding bleach twice a day (brand new pool just filled)
Also, I have put 4 lbs of CYA IN THE POOL (yesterday) and I stubble to figure out the testing procedure in the kit. It doesnt appear to register.. The pool calculator indicates I should add another 4 lbs of CYA, but I've been holding off to see if the levels rise over time.

Also, I have Tri-chlor tabs floating in the water.

My pool is approx. 25,000 gallons

Thanks

Watermom
07-24-2011, 08:23 AM
I would never suggest adding 14 lbs. of anything at a time to the pool. Add much smaller doses of baking soda -- maybe 2 or 3 lbs. at a time. Wait a few hours, retest TA and redose until you get it where you want it. Baking soda won't significantly affect pH.

In a 25K pool, 4 lbs. of stabilizer will add 20ppm of CYA. What is your plan here? Are you aiming for a certain amount of CYA added directly and then want to use the trichlor tabs for awhile? Or do you want to just go ahead and add the whole needed amount of CYA and not use trichlor or ????? Let us know so we can better advise you. If you do decide to just add the total amount and ditch the tabs, then you will want the full 8 lbs. to get you up to about 40ppm. How did you add the CYA? To the skimmer? In an old sock hanging in front of a return jet?

How much bleach at a time are you adding? In this big of a pool, each gallon of 6% will increase the cl by 2.5ppm. Until you get a decent amount of CYA in there, you should be adding bleach 2 or 3 times a day and each time, add enough to get the cl back up to around 5ppm. It will quickly be lost to the sun without CYA and that is why you have to add more a few times per day. After your CYA level comes up, you'll be able to test and add bleach in the evenings only.

Hope this helps. Come back if you have more questions.

thorn138
07-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Thank you so much for your help! To answer your questions:

I initially added CYA (4 lbs) by sock hanging in front of the jet.
I've been adding bleach twice a day (morning and evening)
My Ph was initially high, but I controlled that with Muriatic Acid, and it is now 7.6

I have 2 tri-chlor tabs in a floater.. I have not added any more CYA because I've read on here where they will increase CYA and from everything I've seen so far, too much CYA is not a good thing. The last thing I want to do is release any water (just filled it)

My CYA goal is 40-50 ppm and FC around 3-5 ppm.

I really appreciate your help btw.... This is our first pool and I'm nervous as heck!! Currently, the water is clear and I've been running the pump 24/7. I can't clean it yet, because the installers told me to stay out of it for 5 days to allow to sand underneath to set up..

Watermom
07-24-2011, 02:16 PM
4 lbs. of CYA will only take you to 20 which will not be high enough. If it were my pool, I'd just go ahead and add the other 4 lbs. which would take you to 40 and then be done with CYA. But, if you do that, you won't want to use the trichlor pucks because they will continue to add CYA. Once your CYA is at 40, your pool will hold chlorine through the day and you'll be able to test and add bleach in the evenings only.

For a pool with CYA of 40-50, your chlorine range is 3-6ppm.

You don't have to run the pump 24/7 unless the CYA is added to the skimmer or if you are experiencing cloudy water or algae issues. Otherwise, 8-10 hours per day is plenty. You can split this into two 4 or 5 hour sessions.

I'm glad to help you. Let us know if you have any further questions. That is why we are here!

thorn138
07-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Thank you. I have done as you recommended and will test this evening. It's been over 100 degrees here in Oklahoma for over 29 days, so keeping my FA up will take some attention!!

aylad
07-25-2011, 06:29 PM
That's true, but not as much attention as will be required if you have to clear up a bloom.....resist the urge to get lazy about testing--just a few minutes a day can save you lots of time, money and aggravation in the long run! :)

Janet