PDA

View Full Version : Code Brown!

jeepers
07-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Just put the kids in the pool for an evening swim and my 3 year old didn't quite make it out of the water before doing #2.

How high do I need to shock to make the pool safe to swim? It's supposed to be 102 here tomorrow (SE Pennsylvania) so I'm sure the kids will want to swim but it's pitch black out back right now so I won't be able to add the chlorine until first thing in the morning.

Jim

DennyB65
07-21-2011, 11:04 PM
The best time to add CL is at night as there is no sun to break it down. Shock your pool based on the recommendations published on the forum and you should be fine. In fact, the CL that you already had in the pool probably did the job already.

jeepers
07-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks, Denny! I appreciate your info.

I guess my question would have been better worded if I'd asked "do I need to bring the pool to shock level after this?" I couldn't see anything in the dark last night to add and test FC shock levels, but I do test daily and have been consistently within Ben's recommendations for FC on the Best Guess chart. It's going to be 102 today so it will be torture trying to keep the kids out of the pool if I have to bring it up to shock level today.

Without getting graphic, the accident was mostly contained. I think I'm going to boost my FC up to a max level this morning and let the kids swim later in the day. Anybody have concerns about this plan?

Jim

kelemvor
07-22-2011, 11:10 AM
If it were my pool, I'd rather have the kids in with a little higher chlorine than take the risk of bacterial infection. If your CYA isn't very high then the high Cl level will be gone rather quickly due to the sunlight anyway.