PDA

View Full Version : how often do you check your water?

slowtan
05-12-2006, 12:30 AM
This is my first year w/ the BBB's and I want to know how often do I have to check my water.

I am hoping that I can check/adjust twice a week. but after just finishing my first battle w/algae I am a bit scared. If this is a daily thing, I might end up going w/pucks again for the convience of it.

no $$ for a SWC or I would go that route. I may try chlorease as they are selling cheap on Ebay but no one has said on here if they are are good/bad.

Stephen

mwsmith2
05-12-2006, 01:51 AM
When I was using bleach, I checked pH/Cl every 3 days and was fine. Of course, if I saw a problem, I'd check more frequently, but I never had to. Now that I have a SWC, I check pH/Cl once a week.

Michael

CarlD
05-12-2006, 06:44 AM
I always recommend that you check chlorine and pH everyday--though sometimes I'm a tad negligent myself--but I do test it every 2 days at a minimum, and once a week a run the full battery of tests in the PS-233--
FC
CC
TC (quick test)
pH
T/A
CYA
Temperature.

I only test Ca 2 or 3 times a season because I have a vinyl liner and don't use Cal-Hypo too often.

When we go away, I'll leave a series of jugs of bleach--the 1gal 48oz ones of 6%. Then I'll tell the house sitter to add half a jug every other day. So far, I've always come back to a clean pool--because they've always followed my directions!

littleHeidi
05-12-2006, 07:37 AM
What is SWC? I've seen that a lot on this forumn but never any explanation for it? Thanks.

JohnT
05-12-2006, 08:29 AM
What is SWC? I've seen that a lot on this forumn but never any explanation for it? Thanks.

Salt Water Chlorinator. You add salt to the pool, and the chlorinator breaks down the saltwater into chlorinated water.

PatL34
05-12-2006, 09:05 AM

SWC = Salt Water Chlorinator

SWG = Salt Water Generator

What is the difference? Absolutely nothing!!:confused:

The terms are bandied about without really a proper definition, so this my attempt.

A SWC implies that chlorination is the process that keeps the pool clean, by conversion of salt water to chlorine electrolytically.

A SWG implies that chlorine is generated electrolytically from salt water to keep the pool clean as above.

Which is the better definition?

I personally prefer a SWC as it appears similar to having an in-line chlorinator, with either bleach or pucks.

Hope this helps.

Pat

littleHeidi
05-12-2006, 05:11 PM
AHHHHHHH! Thanks!! I felt stupid for asking but kept seeing it posted on here. Thanks so much!! Ya learn something new on here every day!!