PDA

View Full Version : how do i get rid of the dead algae

DirtRider67
07-20-2011, 07:36 PM
So after about two weeks of shocking my pool, it is finally clear. Well, it was until I turned my creepers on. Its blue but has white residue , dead algae. There has to be a better way to get rid of the dead stuff than just filtering. Please help.

=======

this seems to be a difficult task getting rid of the dead algae with cartridge filters. What a bout a water clarifier or a floc to clump the dead stuff and scoop it out with a net? I have been running my filters 24/7 for 3 weeks now and now that i am at the point of getting rid of the dead algae, i am stumped.

PoolDoc
07-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Pretty much any properly working cartridge filter will remove DEAD (not live!) algae. If yours doesn't something's wrong with either your vacuum or your filter.

You can't clump algae so you can "scoop it out with a net" -- those products don't produce clumps that size. Are you using a hand vacuum? (Pole, hose, vac head) If not, try that.

DirtRider67
07-21-2011, 10:57 AM
I have been using the hayward creeper and it sucks it up but then just spits most of it out the returns and makes the pool cloudy. My filters are in good shape so i know they aren't the problem. do i just keep doing this and eventually it will all get caught or might there be a problem with my system? I'm stumped here. Thanks for the response PoolDoc

PoolDoc
07-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Again, I'd strongly recommend using a manual vacuum, and vacuuming directly to the filters. If the stuff comes through the filters . . . your filters need work, or your cartridges need to be replaced.

DirtRider67
07-21-2011, 08:28 PM
You were right PoolDoc. My filter system was the problem. My bottom collector which the filters sit on and it sucks the water through the filters is all cracked up. this explains why the water coming from the returns is cloudy. i ordered a new one and i'm sure this will fix my problems and then hopefully, i will have a crystal clear pool. Had i fixed this in the beginning, i'm sure it would have been sparkling by now. Thanks again for the help.

PoolDoc
07-21-2011, 10:08 PM
You're welcome.

DirtRider67
07-21-2011, 11:18 PM
WOW! I just installed the bottom collector on my hayward super clear star filter and what a difference. I am able to run both the skimmer and the creeper at the same time and no white residue coming out of the returns. I'm thinking that this broken collector has been a major factor in the struggle to have a crystal clear pool for the last few years. At this rate, i think the pool will be swimable by this weekend. WOO-HOO

Watermom
07-21-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm really glad you got this fixed. I had a feeling there was something up with your filter and that is why I asked Ben to take a look at your thread for you. Keeping my fingers crossed for weekend swimming!

DirtRider67
07-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks WaterMom. I went over to the house this morning and I was absolutely shocked! The water was crystal clear and very little debris on the bottom. I was so happy that i almost cried. SHHH, don't tell anyone. So, I cleaned the filters again and the residue just washed right off. We are swimming this evening for sure!

Question: When i take the cover to the filters off, should the water level drop to the lowest outlet? I'm thinking that it shouldn't and i could have a bad check valve.

Thanks again

Watermom
07-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say "take the cover to the filters off."

PoolDoc
07-22-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm guessing he means the cartridge filter lid?

If so, it's not uncommon or abnormal for water from a filter siphon back into the pool, and it's not usually something that needs fixing.