PDA

View Full Version : Salt system for in ground pool with liner.... Please help

pilot-werx
07-19-2011, 10:15 PM
I would like to convert my pool to salt but the people who built the say no way. The reason ins that salt will eventually eat the light housing and aluminum coping.. Can anyone give me feedback as to the validity of these problems?

kelemvor
07-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Salt definitely corrodes metals. I've got a SWCG pool, Although I've only owned it for 1 year, the pool (and salt system) are almost four years old now. I have a metal light ring and housing, the ring had some buildup on it (most likely calcium imo) but I recently acid washed it and it still looks shiny and brand new. Don't have any aluminum coping to compare with.

I like my swcg system. I had to run the pool for a month or two when I first bought the house without it because the control board was broken. It lets me be lazy and skip the frequent addition of chlorine, but I do have to add acid pretty much weekly to keep the pH in check.

The topic was just discussed in much detail in this thread: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?13092-Have-Salt-Systems-fallen-out-of-favor You should probably give that a read.

Salt MAY void your warranty if you've got one.