PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weissmuller Pools

kjmelak
05-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I am thinking about getting this pool:

http://www.johnnyweissmullerpools.com/jwsaharaoval.htm

Does anyone out there own one, and any positive or negative feedback?

CarlD
05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't know much except I believe they are the less-expensive line from Esther Williams Pools.

pklatorre
05-12-2006, 09:18 PM
I don't have anything else to compare it to but we have a Johnny W. pool. The pool was purchased in 1990 and we are the third owners of the home where it is located. It's still in good condition. Our liner is now leaking but that has nothing to do with the pool construction. Who knows how many liners this pool has already had.

hrsdennis
05-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Here in the Valley of the sun the two biggest stores I install for both sell Doughboys. Why doesn't anyone ask about them? I would have to say that most of the upper end pools are very close in quality and it is important to price the package.

Dennis

CarlD
05-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Dennis,
If you could search through the PC forum (Pre-Crash) you would see literally HUNDREDS of posts on Dough-boy pools. They are generally considered one of the very top A/G circular and oval pools, though they have had some problems occasionally

But they are also a far better known brand than Johnny Weissmuller, which, I suspect, may be a more regional brand and is, I KNOW, the less expensive line of Esther Williams pools.

JoshU
05-13-2006, 09:07 PM
As mentioned above Esther and Johnny pools are both made by the same company, Delair. Delair makes very good pools and they are completely aluminum. Aluminum will outlast steel. Doughboy makes a good pool however, all of their pools are going to have steel walls. As far as steel pools go, Doughboy makes one of the better lines.

Josh

tbelle
05-14-2006, 12:21 AM
As mentioned above Esther and Johnny pools are both made by the same company, Delair. Delair makes very good pools and they are completely aluminum. Aluminum will outlast steel. Doughboy makes a good pool however, all of their pools are going to have steel walls. As far as steel pools go, Doughboy makes one of the better lines.

Josh

I thought the steel (galvanized walls) with the stainless steel service panel was much better than the aluminum pools without the steel service panel. Am I wrong??? How does one decide to go with aluminum or steel. If the aluminum is better, one would save money buying a pool made of aluminum w/o steel service panel. :confused:

JoshU
05-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Some things to consider:
You wouldn't add a steel panel to an aluminum wall.
Aluminum is more expensive than steel.
A steel pool with a stainless steel or aluminum panel should outlast a regular steel pool. However, only 4 ft. of your wall is being protected by the panel while the rest is still steel and can easily rust if a pinhole leak develops. The problem is, the leak will be between the wall and the liner and you'll probably never notice it until the problem becomes too severe.

Just wanted to let you know my thoughts on walls. I'm in the pool industry and have seen an uncountable number of steel pools fail, many with stainless steel panels installed.

Josh

tbelle
05-14-2006, 02:15 PM
The aluminum pools in Memphis are not more expensive than the steel. So, contradictory to everyone else's opinion, I could buy the less expensive aluminum pool (the ones that people say fall down, break, etc.) and it would be okay! If the aluminum is stronger, why should I avoid the aluminum???

This is worse than car shopping.

JoshU
05-15-2006, 01:53 AM
It's not that aluminum is stronger than steel, it's that steel will rust easily. Aluminum won't rust. It can corrode, but it takes many, many years to corrode (if it ever does) and as long as it's backed by a good company than you should be just fine.

It's very odd to find to an aluminum pool that is less expensive than steel.

What brand steel pools are you looking at?

Josh

lauriefree
05-15-2006, 08:35 AM
This is interesting, I believe it's a pool with a 3-person buddy seat. I haven't seen an option such as this anywhere else, although the Johnny Weissmuller pool site doesn't mention it.

What do you think?
http://www.johnnyweissmullerpools.com/images/pic-jwsemi-inground2.jpg

Laurie

JoshU
05-15-2006, 07:39 PM
This is interesting, I believe it's a pool with a 3-person buddy seat. I haven't seen an option such as this anywhere else, although the Johnny Weissmuller pool site doesn't mention it.

What do you think?
http://www.johnnyweissmullerpools.com/images/pic-jwsemi-inground2.jpg

Laurie

I've never seen this done before except for a vinyl inground pool kit. Must be something new. Maybe a third party aftermarket product.

Josh

drumr
05-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Just thought I might chime in..I have been in the aluminum extrusion industry for 20 years now. I looked at a Johnny W. pool a few years ago and it was the first aluminum pool I have ever seen. It was a simple interlocking extrusion that made the wall. At one time and maybe still now, Arch Aluminum extrudes for them. We looked at getting into the pool wall extrusion business, but we decided not too because our focus is mainly architectual shapes.
I have a 5 year old 24' above ground steel pool myself and it has been very reliable. We put a new liner in this season and when I checked the walls they were in perfect condition, no rust at all. I think either with steel or aluminum, the pool, if installed correctly will last many years, so if you can get an aluminum pool for the same price as steel I would probably go that route. The aluminum extrusion pool walls metal thickness is greater than a steel pool wall, that is mainly to get that particular shape to run flat when extruded. I believe those pools are painted which I would prefer over an anodize finish (we do both in my plant). Paint will do a better job protecting against oxidation, and if the extrusions are powder coated they will even be more protected than with wet paint.
So either way having the pool installed correctly will be of more importance than the type of metal it is made of.

JoshU
05-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Not all of the Johnny/Esther pools are extruded, only the higher end models.

As far as correctly installing the pool: I agree 100% but, it only takes a pinhole liner leak or gasket problem to cause a wall to rust out. Some brands are protected better than others against these problems. But even the most expensive steel pools can run into rust problems. We've sold 1000's of pools over the years and now we're selling mostly aluminum walls because of rust issues with the steel walls.

Josh

kevkline
05-17-2006, 11:25 AM
I am having my 15 x 30 Johnny Weissmuller pool installed as I type. It is extruded aluminum. I was confused as which to get also - steel or aluminum. Pool stores didn't seem to be any help whatsoever because obviously, each pool store is going to put down the others product although neither seemed to promote the resin for some reason. Maybe it was the cold Michigan winters....?

Personally, I work in the steel business (bars, not sheet) but know first hand just how easy it is to develop a rust problem with bare steel. So I went with aluminum - nothing scientific - just a personal choice. The pool I bought comes with a 40 year warranty so I felt OK in my decision.

Kevin

kjmelak
05-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all of your replies!

I purchased a 15' x 25' Johnny Weissmuller pool yesterday. I decided on this because the aluminum seats seemed so much more stronger than the steel ones. Next, finding an installer .....

Kevin

traceyb
06-26-2006, 06:06 PM
I have been pricing pools lately. The aluminum "classic" pool by ester w. is cheaper than the pool comparison doughboy "desert spring" which has steel walls. To me the e/w pool will outlast the doughb. steel walled pool, so why is the doughboy more expensive? Is it like tommy hilfiger jeans vs/ wal mart jeans? Are you paying that extra $ for the name "doughboy"?