PDA

View Full Version : What do my chlorine levels need to be?

cnk
03-26-2006, 05:06 PM
I was in the middle of my Baquacil conversion when the forum went down. (Talk about panic when I couldn't read what to do next. LOL) Anyways, I survived and now have crystal blue water. My question is what do I do next? I have one of Ben's kits on order, but am using a cheapo that we got with the pool until it arrives. My ph is balanced, but at what level do I need to keep the chlorine at? Should I add the CYA now? I've never put any in this pool. Also, I've seen where people have talked about polyquat to prevent algae. Do I need to add this since it's never been in the pool or do the chlorine only? I live in Oklahoma average 90s during the summer. Thanks for all of your help. I'm kind of lost without the old posts to read through.

Watermom
03-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Go ahead and give us test results and then you'll be able to get more help. Don't know what all your kit will test, but we would like to have the following:
FC, TC, PH, Alk, CH, CYA - which I assume is 0

Also, tell exactly what all you have put in your pool thus far and tell us what type of pool you have. (vinyl, gunite, etc.)

As far as the polyquat, you'll get some conflicting advice. On another thread today, this has been discussed. I never use it except at closing and then I add a double dose per Ben's suggestion. I know others who close their pool and don't add it and then others who add it periodically during the summer. I have never had a problem with not adding it. I take the time every day to test my water and maintain adequate chlorine levels and my pool is fine. It doesn't hurt to use it but if you don't need it, why have the expense of adding it?

At any rate, repost with as many numbers as you can give us and somebody here can further advise you.

cnk
03-27-2006, 09:52 AM
My ph is down to 6.8 however this pool always tends to try to stay in the high ph range. I recently lowered it. Obviously by a litttle too much, but I feel that it will come up on its own. My alkalinity was 70. My chlorine is back down to 0. My test doesn't separate FC & TC. Nor does it test for hardness. I have a fiberglass pool. 12,500 gallons.

Watermom
03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
A couple of things:
I know you think your ph will come up on its own, but since 6.8 is probably the lowest value on your tester, the ph actually could be much lower. Any reading below 7.0 is acidic and can damage your pool. I'd go ahead and add a couple of cups of 20 Mule Team Borax slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running. Wait a few hours, retest ph and redose until you at least get it to 7.2.

Also, you need to get some chlorine in there or you'll be surprised how quickly your pool will turn green. Since I assume that you still have not added any stabilizer (cya), you can do one of two things. You can either use trichlor pucks to chlorinate with which also contain cya. You say that you usually have high ph. Trichlor is acidic and will drive your ph down with use. If you do decide to use trichlor, you'll need to test your cya level periodically. After you get it where you want it, (I like 30-40ppm of cya), then you'll need to discontinue the trichlor and just use bleach. Another option is to go ahead and just add an initial dose of cya and then just use bleach to chlorinate with. That is what I do. Add enough cya per the label instructions to get you to a level of about 30. (Pour it directly into the skimmer.) Then be patient. CYA takes a long time to dissolve in your filter, so don't backwash or add more for about a week. Then, retest your cya level before deciding if you need to add any more. You want to go slowly. You can always add more cya, but reducing it isn't as easy.

Until you get a cya reading in your pool, you'll have to watch your chlorine level closely as you will quickly lose the chlorine to the sun. As your cya level comes up, this won't happen so fast. Hope this helps.

Watermom

cnk
03-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I think that I will just do the bleach and CYA since that is what I've already purchased, but what I need to know is what level I need to keep the chlorine at. I thought that I had read 3 ppm on the previous board, but I'm not sure.

Watermom
03-27-2006, 04:29 PM
It depends on your cya level. The higher your cya level is, the higher you have to keep your chlorine level. If you add enough cya to have a level around 30-40, then maintaining a cl level of around 3ppm should be OK. Again, it just depends on your cya level.

cnk
03-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks alot for your help. That at least gives me a level to shoot for.

ScottS
04-03-2006, 12:28 AM
I saved this chart on my PC from the old site. Hope it helps!

-------------------

Ben's 'best guess' FC/Stabilizer table for algae free operation of OUTDOOR pools
-- as of July 2003 --

Stabilizer . . . . . . Min. FC . . . . Max FC . . . 'Shock' FC
=> 0 ppm . . . . . . . 1 ppm . . . . . 3 ppm . . . . 10 ppm
=> 10 - 20 ppm . . . . 2 ppm . . . . . 5 ppm . . . . 12 ppm
=> 30 - 50 ppm . . . . 3 ppm . . . . . 6 ppm . . . . 15 ppm
=> 60 - 90 ppm . . . . 5 ppm . . . . . 10 ppm . . .. 20 ppm
=> 100 - 200 ppm . . . 8 ppm . . . . . 15 ppm . . .. 25 ppm

apoolman
04-03-2006, 06:10 PM
CNK, The answer to your question is a MIN of 1.5 If your pool has a CL level lower than 1.5 then it is not safe to swim in. The NSFP reg book shows this year for 2006 for CL levels to be between 2.5 and 7.5. Your CYA should not go over 100 PPM. the only way to reduce this level is to drain water off the top of the pool and replace with fresh water. There is no chemical to reduce CYA in a pool. CYA stays at the top 3 inches of the surface of the pool on a calm steady day. Draining from a skimmer or a scum ledge is the best way to lower CYA if it gets too high.

DavidD
04-03-2006, 06:56 PM
the only way to reduce this level is to drain water off the top of the pool and replace with fresh water. .... CYA stays at the top 3 inches of the surface of the pool on a calm steady day. Draining from a skimmer or a scum ledge is the best way to lower CYA if it gets too high.

That is the first time I’ve heard that. Any studies/documentation that backs this up? If this is true, it would make lowering CYA much easier. Sorry to be skeptical but sounds way too good to be true. Chemistry was a long time ago so hopefully I'm wrong in my un substantiated doubt, I HOPE!.

waterbear
04-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I would be very interested in hearing any studies to back this up myself since it goes agains just about everything I know about the chemistry of solutions.

duraleigh
04-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Poolman,

CYA stays at the top 3 inches of the surface of the pool on a calm steady day. Draining from a skimmer or a scum ledge is the best way to lower CYA if it gets too high.

DavidD, Waterbear, and DavidS (that's me) are in sync on this one. I have never heard that before but would love it to be true. However, that would mean that if you did a CYA test and dipped 6 inches below the surface in a calm pool, you would get a zero CYA reading.

Lowering CYA would be a chip shot with a variety of methods :confused: :confused:

Dave S.

As an aside, the Moderator of the forum is ADAMANT about people in the profession identifying themselves as such. Your username implies that but it's not clear. Glad to have you on the forum:) :)

Dave S.

apoolman
04-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Become a CPO and get the CPO Handbook!!!

http://www.nspf.com/index.html

apoolman
04-04-2006, 10:49 PM
I am a CPO by the www.nspf.com

I control a private swimming pool in NW FL pandhandle. I am a tennant in my apartment complex and have a 45,000 oval VAK-PAK DE pool with scum ledge. I was informed in the CPO class that the only way to remove CYA from the pool is to exchange the water for fresh water. Of course my other comment about the top 3 inches is not to be taken in the form that if you test 6 inches down you get a ZERO readout. The 3 inches of the top of the surface is where the CYA does its job. I cannot make a scan of the page out of the CPO manual. That is against the Copyright rules. I can only tell you what is says. And I have done it before.

My scum ledge is 6 inches high. Than accounts for about 1000 Gal. so I shut off the main pump and crank up the maint pump and evac from the ledge drains instead of the main drain and it lowers my CYA level from 90-100 to about 70-80. I fill with fresh water, wait 2 days and do it again. It works.

waterbear
04-04-2006, 10:56 PM
I am a CPO by the www.nspf.com (http://www.nspf.com)

I The 3 inches of the top of the surface is where the CYA does its job.
Well, you are right about that, CYA protects the chlorine from degradation by UV rays and they only penetrate abot 3 inches below the surface of the water before they are greatly reduced!. Not much need to protect the chlorine from degredation by UV at the bottom of the pool! Once again, what you stated goes against everything I know about the chemistry of solutions.

PoolDoc
04-05-2006, 12:38 AM
. CYA stays at the top 3 inches of the surface of the pool on a calm steady day. Draining from a skimmer or a scum ledge is the best way to lower CYA if it gets too high.

Uh, that's totally bogus!

As a CPO myself, and a former instructor, I can assure you that that idea is NOT from CPO training. If you got an instructor who taught you that, you got one from the bottom of the NSPF's barrel. Bad luck for you, but please don't dump his goofy ideas here!

It's also not true that
all pools with FAC at 1 ppm are unsafe -- it IS possible to be 'safe' at that level, or that
there's something magical about the range between 2.5 ppm and 7.5ppm, or that
it's impossible to run a safe and sanitary pool with 150 ppm of CYA!Please, learn more, before you try to post authoritatively. Unfortunately, having one of the nice CPO patches and certificates does NOT make you an expert.

And . . . you need to ID your connection with the industry in a signature line to EACH and EVERY post, which identifies who and what you are in the industry, but does NOT try to 'sell' your services.

Thanks,

Ben
PoolForum.com / PoolSolutions.com

apoolman
04-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Did not mean to bust anyones bubbles. I shall refrain from posting about things I know nothing about.

Jake.
The wannabe CPO.