PDA

View Full Version : high chlorine, but crystal clear!

katydid
07-18-2011, 01:51 PM
This is my first time to post, but after studying your BBB method my pool has gone from green to crystal clear! I started using bleach from grocery store, but I continued using the trichlor tabs in skimmer (my bad). I received the TAYLOR kit, and got the reading of high chlorine. I quit using the trichlor tabs two days ago.
But, I am worried about high chlorine level of 17.
FC: 17
Total C: 0
PH: 7.2
Alk: 75
CYA: 80

I tested for calcium, but the TAYLOR kit did not turn red, just pink. But, I still did the next steps and reading was 120.
Vinyl liner, 26000
Thank you!

Watermom
07-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi Katydid and welcome to the Pool Forum! Thanks for becoming a subscriber. That is awesome. We appreciate the support of those who pay for subscriptions because it helps keep the forum online.

Don't worry about the FC of 17. It will come down on its own and it's not that big of a deal. Pools with high CYA can run higher chlorine levels. If you haven't already done so, take a look at the Best Guess chart in my signature below. By the way, FC + CC = TC so your numbers above are not reported quite right.

Keep an eye on your pH. It is ok at 7.2 but if it goes lower, you'll want to bump it up a little with some Borax.

Hope you enjoy being a part of the forum. We are glad you found us!

katydid
07-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Watermom,
Thank you for the info. I didn't know about the FC + CC = TC. How much Borax should I add to increase PH ? On my previous post, I stated vinyl liner, 26000 K, but my husband informed me the pool was 27,500 K. Your forum is awesome!

katydid
07-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Watermom,
I found the Borax info. on your Pool Solutions: I added 2 cups through skimmer, and I will check PH in 24 hours.
Thanks again!

Watermom
07-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Great. Keep us posted how things are going.