PDA

View Full Version : ColorQ tester

Kriggin
07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm interested in researching the ColorQ digital water test kits on the forum, but in order to use the search feature I had to register and post this thread. Hoping to find lots of useful info here. I know from browsing that it looks like most of you recommend the Taylor test kits, but I like the idea of an exact digital # readout so I'm hoping to compare the 2 and make the best decision.

By the way, I'm on a mineral springs saltwater system.

Watermom
07-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Use the search feature in my signature below as it is way better than the search engine that comes with the forum software. Until your registration is completed, you'll need to log out first in order to be able to see the search results, but that is only a temporary inconvenience. Welcome to the Pool Forum.

Kriggin
07-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Thank you Watermom! I've been reading, it sounds like the Taylor 2006 is the way to go? Is that test kit compatible with a Mineral Springs saltwater system or do I need a different test kit for saltwater system?

Thanks again. Great forum, looking forward to learning a lot here.

famousdavis
07-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Kriggin,

I'm a new pool owner, but my experience thus far tells me that a precise digital read-out -- such as what I get from the two pool stores I visit weekly to get my water tested -- is nothing but a very precise figure that conveys far more precision than what is warranted. That explains why my two pool companies nearly never agree on anything they're measuring. One says the pH is 7.6, the other 7.8. One says the chlorine is 4.0, the other 6.9. One says the alkalinity is 100, the other says 160. What's the truth? Who knows? But they are both very, very precise in telling me what's in my pool.

So, I take everything with a big grain of salt -- including how much salt they're telling me to add in my pool. :-)

Like you, I prefer the exactness of a digital read-out. I just think the digital test kits aren't really any more precise than the dropper kits, so I'm opting for the dropper kits because they seem to be the gold standard of pool water testing (so says the maker of the highly regarded Tailor kits).

Watermom
07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Kriggin,
You'll also need a salt kit. The K-1766 salt kit is also available through the same Amazon link in my signature below. So, you'll need to pick that one up as well.

Kriggin
07-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys. I'll pick up the FAS-DPD and the salt kit through your link tonight or tomorrow Watermom. My mineral springs unit displays a mineral count in PPM, i thought that might be the same thing the salt kit does.

Thanks again. Great forum!

Kriggin
07-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Watermom, just wanted to update you and let you know I ordered both kits through your link in your signature. Thank you for your help.

I'll post some results and probably ask more questions in the main forum once the kits arrive and I get to start using them. Clear water, here I come! :)

Watermom
07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
We'll be here to help. Good decision to get the good kits. It will make your pool maintenance much easier!

Do us a favor, please. To make it easier for us to help, if people will create a signature line with their pool specs, it keeps us from having to reread through posts to find out basic information. You can create a signature by clicking on 'settings' in the upper right-hand corner of the homepage. In your sig, please put type of pool, volume, type of filter, size of pump, whether or not you have a SWCG or any water features and the fact that you do or do not have a K-2006. Thanks!