PDA

View Full Version : Filter Run Times

Sprint54
05-11-2006, 07:38 PM
I have noticed in several posts that the recommendation is to adjust pool chemistry, (add Chlorine, PH up or down etc.) in the late afternoon to avoid the negative effects the sun has on the chemicals. That makes good sense. But I'm just wondering when you do that the filter should be running since most of the posts recommend to add the Chlorine via the skimmer. Then how long is the recommendation to run the filter after the chemicals are added? Last season our filter ran for 8 hours, from 10AM to 6PM, every day. I planned on maintaining the same schedule. But if I was to adjust the pool chemistry in the late afternoon, say 5PM to avoid the negative effects of the sun, the filter would only run for an hour, which does not seem like enough time to circulate the chemicals. I ran it between 10AM and 6PM becasue that was the 8 hour window that the pool saw the most use. I would run the filter after 6PM if there were several users of the pool. What is the recommendation of the forum regarding filter run times after adding chemicals?

Thanks Scott

26K Gals, IG Concrete, sand filter, filtration rate of 68GPM, should turn pool over once every 6.4 hrs.

duraleigh
05-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi, Scott,

That avoiding the Sun deal is only about Cl and only if you have little or no CYA. It is meaningless to other pool additives.

That said, I like to run my pump at least a couple of hours to distribute everything evenly...usually a little longer wouldn't hurt. :)

Sprint54
05-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Hey thanks Dave, that's the answer I was expecting to here. I always checked pool chemistry and added any chemicals in the morning because it's cooler. When the temp reaches 95+ degrees, the last thing I want to be doing is pool maintenance. I want to be in the pool with a cold adult beverage.... By the way, the maintenance items I posted on the pool repair forum are fewer. Hope to be acid washing the pool Saturday, all the caulking is removed, filter sand replaced and expecting to get the remaining pump parts this afternoon. I hope to be re-filling on Sunday.

Kind Regards,

Scott

duraleigh
05-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi, Scott,

You're a hi-energy guy. That list would've taken me a year!! I think I'm gonna' have to cut back on my pool side adult beverage consumption so I can get some work done!! :D