PDA

View Full Version : Another Light Question

AmigaDude
07-18-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I just can't find it.

I have a 20+ year old gunite pool, with 2 Amerilite lights installed which almost never get used. I've noticed that the light niches continually get rust stains coming down the plaster, and the bottom tab (used to hold the light) is gone.

Since this will be the year to get a resurface, it seems like a good time to nip this problem. So, should I be:

Looking to replace the niche(s)
Cover up the rust and ignore it
Find some fixup kit

I'm guessing that replacing a niche means pulling the wire out of the conduit, and one of these lights does not reach to the decking. Which could mean a new light ....

Watermom
07-29-2011, 09:29 AM
bumping back up

kelemvor
07-29-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't have an answer, but I've got the same issue with the staining below the light. I'm curious if there's a way to clean it up myself.

DallasVal
08-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Consider this a bump.

I have the same problem. We resurfaced the pool in June and the first rust stains did not appear until 3 weeks later. New plaster - now with rust stains. The light was, of course, pulled for the resurfacing. I replaced the light seal after pool was filled, when the GFIC kept tripping and we saw water behind the glass.

We didn't replace the light. I'm beginning to wonder if the heavy acid demand of a new pool might be causing the back of the face plate or other components to rust. I'll pull the light soon to explore, but dread it. In the meantime, anyone know how to get rid of nasty rust stains around light niches? Or what might be causing the issue?

waste
08-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Hey all.

The niche is permanently embedded in the wall of a 'crete pool, which means you, not only have to bust out part of the wall and repair it to change the niche, but you'll also need to reconnect the conduit. Both these things would 'probably' include having to cut out a section of the deck above the light.

If it's just the light itself, you may be able to seal the metal so it won't rust further and treat the stains with ascorbic acid.

Please let us know.