PDA

View Full Version : Draining and acid washing to get rid of black algae

howbout
05-11-2006, 12:46 PM
I posted a question on black algae earlier this week. Although I understand what is needed, unfortunately we will be going away and will not have the ability to brush every day. Would draining the pool then acid washing be an alternative to getting rid of the algae once and for all?

The pool is an inground pool - NOT vinyl!

xoroniox
05-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Draining the pool is NOT reccomended however i had a serious forrest green water with bugs+creatures growing and swimming in my pool and before i knew any better,i used a fine mesh net to skim/net as much junk possible out of the pool after i drained my pool and did the acid wash on the walls/steps/floors then i refilled my pool and checked all my numbers and brought everything into acceptable ranges and shocked just for the hell out of i also have an inground pool diamondbrite finish 12,500gallon. Now after i did all that it took care of my algae/bug problem but the water was very cloudy for a couple weeks. i am NOT sure if it will work for black algae i never had that but i would not reccomend draining the pool terrible things can happen (crack pool deck, pool lifting out of the ground) thank god nothing happened in my case but i also didnt know any better and just drained it but i would not do it again. if i could do it all over i would just shock the hell out of it with tons of bleach and net it all out. i hope that helps a bit. good luck. -Arron

howbout
05-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks for your reply. I actually did a lot of research on black algae and determined our best course WAS to drain and acid wash the pool. We are not doing this ourselves, we have a professional doing it for us. The person I am dealing with is very helpful and has given me some excellent information. Thank you very much though, for your reply.