PDA

View Full Version : Pump recommendation

cmcq
07-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm considering replacing my current pump to reduce energy consumption costs and hoping to significantly reduce noise.

I've got 22k gallon IG pool with a DE filter and 2" PVC pipe. The pump is about 30' away from the shallow end skimmer and probably 60-70 linear feet of plumbing away from the main bottom drain and deep end skimmer (neither of which seems to get much suction). The pump also sits about 4' above the water line.

Right after the pump there is a multi-position valve that returns water to drive a Polaris cleaner. Regarding the normal returns, there is a single pipe that splits somewhere to feed 2 returns in the pool. That pipe also has a multi-position valve that allows me to feed water to 2 fountains if I choose. There is no spa. I've got the mineral springs salt water system if that makes any difference. If it matters, the current pump is at least 2 HP if not 2.5 HP but I can't confirm or get specs for sure until I get home tomorrow.

Hopefully this gives all the necessary info. Any recommendations?

TIA
Charlie

stualden
07-13-2011, 03:36 PM
2 or 2.5 sounds HUGE if you don't have a spa. Perhaps it's oversized to be able to run the Polaris simultaneously?

Check the HP and the service factor on the pump and post back here. If you get good results now, you will likely want a similar sized pump, just ideally one that's more efficient and quieter.

cmcq
07-13-2011, 08:08 PM
The pump is 2 HP and SF says 1.3. One other correction - the cleaner is a Ray Vac, not a Polaris. That's what I get for posting from work where I can't see the equipment.

agtatt
07-14-2011, 08:19 AM
If your looking to reduce noise you may have bad bearings on your current pump. You could replace the pump motor or just the bearings. If you are looking to reduce energy costs you might consider a variable speed pump or just a timer for your pump. 2hp sounds large for a 22 k pool. I have used a 3/4 hp pump for my 20 k pool for over 12 years. My polaris uses a booster pump when needed. 220v may be more efficient for your pump if you are using 120v but it is not more electricity saving.

cmcq
07-14-2011, 03:52 PM
I already use a timer so that helps somewhat, but doesn't address the noise or efficiency when running. Any recommendations for an appropriate size, two-speed, quiet pump?

agtatt
07-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Can't guide you much further. Sorry. I am in a similar situation looking for more energy efficiency from my setup. From my research so far it seems that variable speed pumps offer more energy savings than two speed pumps but I don't know about how quiet they are. When I renovated my pool about 5 years ago I moved all the equiptment farther away-- That helped a lot with the sound issues. My concern is that a variable speed pump may be more expensive to repair if the bearings go. I am looking into greater pump automation under the post automation by agtatt. If I can run the pumps less frequently this may improve energy cost and be quieter at night. I will be looking into some of the suggestions posted there. best of luck.