PDA

View Full Version : Help with Skimmer leak.

pratzert
07-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Hi everyone.

I had attempted to install a new wide mouth skimmer on my 27' round AG pool.

It uses one of those newer "Serpentine" or "U-Gaskets" that are sort of split into two flaps with one going in the inside of the skimmer opening and the other flap goes outside the skimmer cut-out.

I am leaking around the outside of the skimmer, mostly at the corners.

It makes sense it leaks worse there than anywhere else since the skimmer mouht parts are all sttraight but mount on a curved/radius pool wall.

The Mfg insisted that no additional caulking or sealants are needed and in fact advised against using any.

So..... how the heck do I get it to stop leaking? I believe it's pretty tight and don't want to risk stripping out the plastic threads in the skimmer.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

matcin2531
07-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Get the right size screw driver and stand in the pool and tighten all the screws one at a time and a little at a time. take one hand and press in from the outside. Go once around and see if it stops and if not do it again. Be patient and do it by hand and do not use a torque drill. Hope this helps as I had to do this after I installed my 27' pool and installed the skimmer from the outside. After it filled it was leaking and tightened up from the inside and it worked.

pratzert
07-14-2011, 09:02 AM
matcin2531,

Thanks for the input.

I'll give it a go and see what happens. I'll try to enlist some help to push from the outside while I tighten while standing inside the pool.

Anothe rtip I was given was to do the bottom screws first as this will draw the gasket properly into place.

AND.... the butterfly gasket goes directly on the metal part of the pool walls and NOT overlapping the liner on the inside.

Thanks again.