PDA

View Full Version : Heater wont work

PaulE10
05-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Hi,
I have had the heater on the spa and the pool a couple of times already this season. Turned the spa on yeaterday and the heater wouldn't work. Got desperate and called the pool store to get them to come out and look at it. First availability was the 22nd. Must be nice to have people waiting two weeks to give you thier money.
When it comes to the heater I have zero knowledge but would still like to give a shot at fixing it. Hello Poolforum!
It is a Purex Triton MiniMax plus 400 High performance Elctronic Ignition Heater. On the control panel there a 6 lights. 4 on the left- TSTAT, AUX, Press, Heat. 2 on the right- Power and service. The 4 on the left are all green except heat, which is not illuminated and the 2 on the right, Power is green and serice is red.

I took the front panel off and there was no flame. Beyond that I had no idea what to do.

Any and all help in trouble shooting/ fixing the problem would be great and far more satisfying ( not to mention less expensive)than getting some guy in to do it.

Thanks

Paul

Oh yeah - 22000 IG plaster if that is important.

otitis
05-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Is it blinking or posting any codes. My hayward flashes different character and in the manual it gives you the reason for each code. It will get you started.

Did you gas supply valve get shut accidentally?

PaulE10
05-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi,

No, I checked and the gas wasn't turned off. I tried it in both positions and got no results. I hope I put the handle back in the oringinal position. Was it up and down or horizontal?

I see no place where it could give me an error code. The control panel just has the temp knobs and the lights I previously posted. Is there a display in side that would show the error code?

Just wondering - I have not done this!!! If it is the iignition that is bad could I light and put one of those long wooden matched in there and turn on the spa? If all else is good, would it ignite and work properly? I have not done this as blowing myself up is a concern!

Thanks

Paul

KurtV
05-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi,

No, I checked and the gas wasn't turned off. I tried it in both positions and got no results. I hope I put the handle back in the oringinal position. Was it up and down or horizontal?

The valve handle will be in line with the gas line when it's on.

PaulE10
05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks , got it in the right position now. The heater still doesn't work. I am close to giving in and letting the pool store have at it ( and my wallet)

Paul

kevinm
05-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Paul,

Try turning the breaker off for the heater for a couple of minutes and then back on. I had a heater that if the gas was off when it tried to fire it would go into fault mode and would not reset unless you turned the power off to it for awhile.

Don't know if this will work, but it will only cost you a few minutes to try.

Kevin