PDA

View Full Version : how to open my pool (walter fliter, plugs, etc)?

vinouspleasure
07-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi,

I'd like to open my pool rather than paying someone to do it. we've removed the cover, drained the pool, painted, replaced tile and now we're filling the pool while adding chemicals. However, I'm not sure what needs to be done to get the pool filter going...also, I should mention we had a professional close it.

do all the plugs come out of the pool? Is it as easy as turning on the filter to see what happens? Or should I get a professional to do it?

tia,
jd

waste
07-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Usually all the plugs come out. However, there are plugs on the pump, filter and other equipment that need to be put back in before firing up the filter.

I doubt you can do any serious damage trying to open the pool yourself - if you have any trouble, we're here to help you and, if push comes to shove, you can always call in the pool co. (they should cut you a break on price for already having removed the cover :) )

vinouspleasure
07-11-2011, 08:25 PM
thanks, can you give me some hints on what I should look for? Otherwise, I'm afraid trial and error is going to be tough...

waste
07-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Usually all the plugs that need to be reinstalled are put in the pump basket. All you have to do is figure out which one fits which hole, re apply 3 wraps of Teflon tape, screw them back in ( hand tight + 1 turn) and you ought be set to go:)

vinouspleasure
07-24-2011, 08:00 PM
thanks, we're up and running, decided to clean the DE filter first, which I think was a good idea. there are these roundish things, maybe they go over or in the return valves in the pool? any ideas?

waste
07-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Congrats on getting the pool up and running!!

Perhaps you're talking about the 'eyeballs' (directional return inlets) - if the number of these matches the number of returns, that's probably what they are.

BE CAREFUL! If you have a suction port that they could fit into, eyeballs on a suction port can rip the skin off your finger down to the bone, if you poke your finger into it (I call them 'piranhas' :) )

If they're something else - post a pic and we'll help you figure out what you're dealing with.