PDA

View Full Version : Jacuzzi Sherlok element filter system

poolbuoy
05-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Hi, I need to buy a new filter/pump and I saw this in a catolgue by "in the Swim". It is a Jacuzzi sherlok with a Cartridge filter and 1 1/2 hp ,2 speed slr series Pump. Model # E2745 for $539.99 and free shipping. Anyone have any experience with this brand or company? I would like to get away from the maint.of DE and have no problem hosing the filter down now and then. Also like the idea of saving money by running on low speed when not vacuuming or using solar. I have a 18x33 4' above ground pool. Thanks

JohnT
05-11-2006, 11:09 AM
I would say
hosing the filter down now and then is an understatement as to how cleaning a cartridge works. They are a much bigger pain than DE or sand in my experience.

poolbuoy
05-11-2006, 11:20 AM
backwashing my DE filter in the past caused me to have to keep adding water. I have a well and lots of Iron here in NEW England, so everytime I add water I tax my well and I have to add metal-out. I do like however the crystal clear water. Have you had a cart filter and got rid of it because of the constant cleaning?

JohnT
05-11-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm on a well too, and I struggle with alkalinity in my fill water. I guess it is better than metal.:) The backwashing water loss is an issue with DE or sand. I've considered Slime Bags, which claim to be able to clean your backwash water enough to discharge it back into the pool. Whether that would be less trouble than cleaning a cartridge, I don't know. http://www.cleanerpools.net/

I've never dealt with a cartridge on well water, but I would be a little concerned that it might struggle with the mineral levels in your water. If you have neighbors with pools, I'd ask around. I have used a cartridge on an AG pool on city water, and it seemed like I was always cleaning it or replacing it. I would recommend you price replacement cartridges before buying a filter, and condsider having a second cartridge on-hand so you can delay the cleaning if it clogs at an inopportune time (this is guaranteed to happen:)) or you have exceptionally dirty water (like an algae bloom) to clear up.

poolbuoy
05-13-2006, 08:21 PM
I bought the slimebag so I'm gonna suck all the new rain off my cover and put it in the pool.

Beautye350
05-13-2006, 11:50 PM
I have purchased from In The Swim before. Everything went fine. My $0.02.

Regards,

Mark

JMK3rd
05-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Hi,
I've looked at the same filter/pump combo and am still considering it for my future purchase of a 15X30 54" above ground. I like the idea of the 2-speed pump that comes with it as I want to run this filter most, if not all, of the day. The only thing holding me back is the 80sq. ft. of filter capacity. I want something larger.

I'm now considering the Hayward Xstream 150. It includes a 1-speed 1.5HP Power-Flo Matrix pump. Because I'm looking specifically for a 2-speed pump I had to do a bit more research. I see that Hayward does indeed make a Power-Flo Matrix pump in a 1.5 HP 2-speed, model #SP15932S

My idea: Buy both the pump/filter combo and the 2-speed pump. Swap the pumps and sell the 1-speed on eBay. :) I'd have the big filter with the 2 speed pump I want for only a bit more (after the sale on eBay) than getting the Jacuzzi.

Anyone opposed? :)

poolbuoy
05-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Ended up going with Pentair Warrior DE filter 66gpm. Good thing I did because I had a major algae bloom and I am filtering and backwashing several times a day. don't even want to think about what I would be doing with a cartridge.