PDA

View Full Version : testimonial

duraleigh
05-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Good morning,

I apologize in advance if this post is somewhat self-absorptive.....but it's another example of how effective the methods on this forum can be.

My original liner was defective, so, with some good help, we replaced it Saturday last. Liner job complete, I started refilling the pool from my murky pond....41,000 gallons worth. I could see into the water about 10-12".

Here's my water test results going in.
pH - 6.8
Alk - 30
CH - 30 (I have a need for calcium even though it's a liner pool)

Had to stop most of Sunday so I filled to the top on Monday and added 4lbs of Borax and 24 lbs. baking soda. That evening, an hour before dark, I added 8lbs of Cal Hypo......enough to take it to 16ppm.

Tested an hour later for Cl and it was @ 13ppm. Four hours later, it was @ 8ppm!!! The Cl was being gulped up by all the organics in that water. I added four more lbs of Cal Hypo and went to bed. The next morning, Cl was 0ppm.

I continued this procedure of adding only at dark. By Thursday, I actually had a Cl residual of 3ppm that evening and the water was noticeably lighter....I could see down about 24"

Friday evening's test results
pH - 7.2
Alk - 90
CH - 60

By Saturday afternoon, the pool was actually a very pretty light green and I was able to read 6ppm Cl that evening. I dropped my Cal Hypo dosage down to only obtain 12ppm from that point....my thinking was that the Cl was starting to hold pretty well and I didn't want to overchlorinate.

The pool was perfectly clear and blue Monday AM. One last backwash and I added 9lbs of CYA to the skimmer.

Wednesday test results were
FC - 5.5
CC - <.5
TC - 6.0
ph - 7.3
Alk - 90
Ch - 90
CYA - 30 - 35

The intial fill two years ago took much longer.....about 20 days....I didn't understand how quickly the Cl was consumed and I didn't have a firm grasp on the methods taught by this forum. A forum member who hasn't posted in a long time, Glenc0, really helped me and gave me the confidence I needed to suck in that dark, dark pond water.

I will switch over to bleach as soon as my Calcium level reaches 150 or so ( I have ceramic tile with grouting along the waterline) and use that as my resource for the rest of the Summer.

I could never have attempted this without the help and knowledge I have obtained on this forum....it makes pool maintenance almost fun! :)

Sorry I can't inline these photos...I'm learning. Pics are from SatPM, MondayAM,FridayPM and Monday AM

Oh, I almost forgot. There have been quite a few posts on the ability of sand filters to get your water clean....affecting my "sensitive side". This is a Triton TR-140 with the original sand....it did a nice job...probably 10 -15 backwashes.

ivyleager
05-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Dave S,

WOW! Very nice redo. Enjoy those Carolina summers.

CaryB

seminolewind
05-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Absolutely gorgeous pool. That is a true testament to this method of pool maintenance. Ben should make this a sticky for all to see and Oohh and Aahh over. Great job!

CarlD
05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Nice job, Dave! For your needs, Cal-Hypo was the PERFECT chlorinator--You need to protect your tile work. I too, think PoolDoc will enjoy these pics.

And all this from a guy who never thought to bring a sample INSIDE to test it!;)

waterbear
05-11-2006, 03:34 PM
And all this from a guy who never thought to bring a sample INSIDE to test it!;)
Well, I can understand why! With that beautiful pool I wouldn't want to be inside either!;)

Dave, Your pictures speak more than words ever can! If this forum ever has any doubters that the methods on here work they just need to look at them!

alapool
05-11-2006, 03:57 PM
I noticed that your pool was a clear but green in one of your pictures. What did you do to get it to turn blue?

Mine has been clear but green for about 3 weeks now. Should I had more liquid bleach and keep it high for a while?

mwsmith2
05-11-2006, 04:28 PM
I noticed that your pool was a clear but green in one of your pictures. What did you do to get it to turn blue?

He outlines his procedure exactly in his post. Short answer: lotsa Chlorine and run the filter 24/7 until clean.

Michael

GHM
05-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Good morning,

My original liner was defective,................

Dave, Nice pool !!
It really doesn't look like a liner pool. I've never seen one with tile and steps like yours. I really like it.
Was it originally a gunnite pool converted over to a liner?
How is the liner attached under the tile?
Does the waterline go up to the middle of the tile above the top of the liner?
Sorry for so many questions, please tell me more about you pool.

Reason I'm asking is because I have a very old (55yr) poured concrete pool (painted) and I'm considering adding a liner. I still want my ceramic tile at the water line and tile on the steps? Do you think it can be done??

George

duraleigh
05-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi, George,

Thank you. It is a 2 year old pool made from concrete block. I didn't have the skills to do plaster so I chose a liner. I also like the feel of a liner pool.

I see no reason why you couldn't to that to your pool. Yes, the waterline is halfway up the tile and yes, there is a horizontal track attached to the side of the pool and the liner has a bead that is inserted into that track. Beadlock is then used to wedge the bead tight in the track and waterproof it.

Send me a private message with your email on it, if you like, and I'll send you some photos that will help with the description. It's been a very interesting project. :)

CarlD
05-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Well, I can understand why! With that beautiful pool I wouldn't want to be inside either!;)

Dave, Your pictures speak more than words ever can! If this forum ever has any doubters that the methods on here work they just need to look at them!

It IS a beautiful pool!