PDA

View Full Version : Low pH upon opening

kacy
05-11-2006, 09:03 AM
All,

Just opened the pool a couple of weeks back. Had lots of rain during the winter. Stabilizer and pH were both low. I've got the stabilizer back up some and the pool is holding chlorine a little better (still having to add chlorine almost daily) and the water is crystal clear. I can't seem to get the pH up to "normal" however. I've added about 6 boxes of Borax over the last couple of weeks and it's still showing the lightest color on the drop test (the lowest color has darkened some, but it still doesn't match the next color on the tester). Just wondering how hard I should continue fighting this pH issue (especially with clear pool water that looks great)? It will be too cool to swim for probably another month, so I'm not sure low pH matters that much at the present. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Kacy

JohnT
05-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Low pH can destroy your pool and equipment. Take a bucket of pool water and add some borax to it and then test that to make sure your pH reagent is good.

CarlD
05-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Are you chlorinating with Tri-chlor pucks or Di-Chlor powder? If so, both are very acidic and lower your pH.

If you have acid rain in your area, that can be a contributing factor as well.

Checking your test kit is a good idea. I have several differnt kits so if I'm not sure about one, I can use another to double check.

Post ALL your numbers and maybe we can see something. Post whether your pool is vinyl or not, if you use a SWG, IG or AG and how many gallons.