PDA

View Full Version : Use of cleaner on mesh cover

kevreh
05-11-2006, 07:04 AM
My mesh cover is a few years old and a little grungy. Anything I should use to clean it before storing. Mild bleach solution? Oxyclean? Muriatic acid?

Thanks
Kevin

ps. Just kidding about the acid

CarlD
05-11-2006, 09:23 AM
If it were me, it would depend on whether the cover was on the pool or not. If it was on the pool, I'd wash it with a mild bleach solution, or possibly a borax solution so that what falls in the pool won't hurt it. Off the pool, I'd use a detergent and very carefully rinse it. A power washer on its lowest, mildest setting might do very well.

kevreh
05-11-2006, 01:49 PM
If it were me, it would depend on whether the cover was on the pool or not. If it was on the pool, I'd wash it with a mild bleach solution, or possibly a borax solution so that what falls in the pool won't hurt it. Off the pool, I'd use a detergent and very carefully rinse it. A power washer on its lowest, mildest setting might do very well.

Usually I would hose it off with it off the pool and on the lawn. This year, I'm thinking of cleaning it on the pool. Since the cover is spread out over the pool the water will just fall through. Its kinda a pain on the lawn cause I gotta mover the cover around quite a bit (grassy area by pool isn't large enough to fit the cover).

I'll do the mild bleach.

No oxyclean votes out their? I mention oxyclean cause maybe it will help get the dirt out of the cover.

Thanks-
Kevin

ChuckD
05-12-2006, 02:33 AM
Here's a vote for Oxyclean. I've got enough evidence having used it around the house and in the laundry for a year or so. I plan on soaking my DE filter medium in it overnight to get the last of the grunge out (muriatic acid, the recommended way, scares me).

I say go for it.

Chuck

CarlD
05-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Since I have NO idea what effect OxyClean has on pool water, I would NOT clean a mesh cover with it while its on the pool.

That's not to say OxyClean isn't great stuff.

NullQwerty
05-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Do you need to use a cleaner on a mesh safety cover that is fairly new and in fine shape?

The water from the pool is a swamp (don't know if that makes a difference).

kevreh
05-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Just a follow up, I took the cover off and pressure washed it. Got it almost looking like new. I have a relativley low psi washer(@1500), so be carefull so you don't do damage.

Kevin