PDA

View Full Version : Storing Test kits ? Inside or outside?

mrmrk49
05-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Does high temp degrade or affect the drop test kits? Can I store it on my patio - out of the sun, but exposed to +100 degrees in summer, or should I keep it in house? It's a minor pain to keep it in house due to need to dry everything off

thnx

Mike K

cwstnsko
05-11-2006, 01:48 AM
I try not to keep any pool related chemicals out in the heat and sun. I keep my test kit, acid and chlorine in the house.

My pool company even mentioned the possibility of keeping the test kit in the fridge .

Poconos
05-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Hobby used to involve a color darkroom BD (Before Digital) and used to keep bulk chemicals, film and paper in the fridge. After a couple years I never saw any degradation and color developing and printing is very sensitive to chemical changes. I keep the pool water test kits inside, out of the heat, and have a bunch of bulk refills that I keep in the fridge. I only open those containers to refill the ones in the kit.
Al

BigSplash
05-11-2006, 11:47 AM
And I quote from the "Taylor K-2005C" test kit manual:

Like all perishables, reagents need to be stored under controlled conditions.
Exposure to extremes of heat or strong ultraviolet light(sunlight) should be avoided. Follow these helpful storage techniques will help increase the shelf life of our reagents:
~ store out of direct sunlight between 36-85 F (2-29C).
~ Tighten bottle caps after use
~ keep reagents in case (if appropriate)

I keep mine in the fridge, until one hour before testing! :rolleyes:

PatL34
05-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Does high temp degrade or affect the drop test kits? Can I store it on my patio - out of the sun, but exposed to +100 degrees in summer, or should I keep it in house? It's a minor pain to keep it in house due to need to dry everything off

thnx

Mike K

Keep my test kits in a bathroom drawer, specifically for that. The bathroom is an interior room that has no outside light.

Pat

mrmrk49
05-11-2006, 05:59 PM
thnx all - looks like I should keep test kit in house during summer

CarlD
05-11-2006, 09:16 PM
I keep my test kits inside, out of direct light. Refills are in a cool cabinet, in the dark.