PDA

View Full Version : Vacumming Sand?

Mr.Mooks
07-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Hello All. We just had our AG pool installed 3 weeks ago. Water is perfectly clear but I seem to be getting sand from the Hayward filter on the bottom of the pool. I am also running a SWG system. I am a little worried to use the vaccum on the sand because I do not want to damage the pump. I see some people say vaccum on waste but I don't see that option and the sand will still go through the pump correct. Mabey filter sand is so fine it won"t damage the pump? Any ideas on why the sand is getting out of the housing? Any ideas would be great. I am new to the pool thing but having been running a hot tub for 10 years. Thanks.

Watermom
07-09-2011, 12:44 PM
What volume is your pool? What size is your pump and filter?

(Vacuuming up sand is not bad for your pump.)

waste
07-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

How much sand are we talking about? A little sand certainly won't hurt anything if vacuumed up, but ~50 lbs. at a time could do some damage!

Can you tell us the model of your filter? (I'm thinking it's a Hayward)

Mr.Mooks
07-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Yes it is a Hayward. I am not sure of the volume of my pool. It is an 15x26 oval and 52" tall. It's just a little sand. I don't think it would even be a pound if all put together. After I vaccume should I backwash? I have not had any pressure increase since the install so I have still never backwashed the filter yet. I was told only to backwash when your pressure increases? Is that right? Thanks for all the help. I just never expected to see sand on the bottom.

SalemCastles
07-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Hayward says to back flush a new installed sand filter BEFORE putting into service on filter. This is to remove any small sand particles that the filter can't catch in the internal screens called laterals. As your filter gets dirty it will actually get more effective and might hold the sand but in any case I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of pump or filter damage in vacuuming it up. If you keep getting more sand in the pool after a period then I'd be looking for a broken lateral in the filter. Make sure you watch your warranty period. Only backwash when the pressure gets to 8-10psi over it's clean pressure otherwise your wasting water and chemicals.

Watermom
07-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Actually, some AG pool filters need to be backwashed when the pressure rise is less than 8psi. Some at more like 5psi. You can tell when you have reduced flow at the return.