PDA

View Full Version : New user - a few questions about refinishing options

samtex
07-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I seem to need to post something before I can use the search feature evidently, so a couple of questions to get into the system.

I have a 32 year old gunite bottom and fiberglass walled pool. The bottom is original, if you can believe that, actually, if you could see it, you would believe it. The pool seems to be structurally sound, as far as cracks go.
(I had the pool installed) It showed some wear about 15 years ago but has really gotten bad.

The bottom has many exposed areas where the plaster has worn off. I have experimented with a small 1850psi power washer and it seems that it would be fairly easy to remove the remaining plaster. I am assuming that it is plaster, the chips are hard and don't seem to break down after sitting in acetone for a few days. (I don't remember the actual finishing process they used back then) Could it be something different than plaster?

The fiberglass walls have started to blister over the past few years, in one area the gel-coat appears to be thinning (has a darker patch?) Since I have been around boats, although never needing to repair blisters on mine, I am familiar with the process of repairing them.

Because of a lack in confidence with the one and only pool store/service company in town, I am considering redoing it myself. I may try to get some other estimates if I can locate any "qualified" people.

I have been reading about options (plaster,fiberglassing whole pool, 2-part epoxy, etc). From what I have read so far, the 2-part epoxy seems to be the most practical overall answer. Correct me if I am wrong but will a new plaster job over "mature" concrete adhere as well as "fresh" concrete? Since I also have the fiberglass walls to deal with, I thought just using the 2-part epoxy might simply things a bit and might be something I could possibly tackle myself.

Since I can not currently use the search function, I'm sorry I haven't been able to research this more before posting.
I have a feeling that like most products/services, quality and competency varies greatly from company to company.
So, does anyone have any suggestions for either what type of refinishing process I should use and also what brand?
Also, if I need to be aware of any other issues? Other questions I should ask?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Watermom
07-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi samtex and welcome to the Pool Forum. I can't help you with your refinishing questions, but someone will come along who will be able to. You can use the search feature in my signature below. You may need to log out first though so you can see the result pages. Once your registration is complete, you'll be able to access the entire forum.

Again, welcome. Glad to have you!

PoolDoc
07-07-2011, 03:51 PM
One option you may want to look into, especially as a DIY project, it using epoxy paint. Kelley Technical makes the paint that I've always used, and it is a reliable product IF you follow the DETAILED instructions they have on their site:
http://www.kelleytech.com/olympic/

The nice thing for you is that you can use an epoxy patch to fill in bad areas, and then immediately follow with epoxy paint, and you can use the SAME finish on both surfaces. One caution: you cannot immediately coat cement (concrete, sorta) based patches with epoxy.

samtex
07-07-2011, 08:58 PM
I spoke to a rep at Kelley and he said if I removed the old plaster, (and properly prepped the gunite) the primer would fill in the roughness of the gunite (as well as small cracks) and give a smooth surface to put the final coat on. Does that sound ok?

He also said his product would adhere to the fiberglass walls. (with prep & primer) He couldn't suggest what to use to repair the blisters, only saying it must be compatible with their primer. I am assuming an epoxy mixture over the grounded out blisters would work? Is there a difference in applying the primer to the gelcoat vs the epoxy repairs?

He said they have a product used as a caulking to fill in the seams. Does the primer and top coat stick to this well?

samtex
07-07-2011, 09:03 PM
From what I have read so far, Kelley is the only supplier of epoxy paints that anyone is comfortable in recommending?

Are they helpful in answering questions before and during application?

PoolDoc
07-08-2011, 10:51 AM
#1 - Kelley's products are inter-compatible, so long as you stay away from the rubber products. But, if you aren't sure, ask.
#2 - The Gunzite product has significant filling capability, but you may want to experiment with a gallon on a smaller area first. Remember that you MUST sand or roughen any primer that sits for more more than a week without being finished. The finish will NOT adhere well to fully cured primer. Also, the primers other than Gunzite do NOT fill gaps or roughness well.
#3 - I've seen some bad results with other paints. Kelley has more complete instructions than other companies I've looked it. I don't know that ALL of the products out there are inferior, but I've not been willing to experiment, personally. Kelley's products have performed as advertised IF (and only if) you follow directions. I *have* seen some severe failures with Kelley products when contractors did NOT follow instructions. In general, epoxy is not very forgiving.

On the other hand, plaster recoat quality is VERY dependent on contractor skill, and many aren't very skilled.