PDA

View Full Version : PPM --- How do I figure IT

Cloud26
07-05-2011, 09:57 AM
I know I'm missing something that is very simple, but I'm confused.

How do I figure PPM. I test my Chlorine and it is 3.0 and the PH is 7.8 on my indicator. I don't think I can figure CYA with the kit I have. (I know I need the other kit and it's on the list) I read that if I am going to "shock" my pool it need to be so many PPM. What's the difference and how do I figure it.

I'm trying to get the green out of my pool an overdose in bleach. Since Sunday morning I have added 6 gallons of 6% bleach.

Watermom
07-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Take a look at the Best Guess table in my signature below. It shows the correlation between your CYA level and how high you need to keep the chlorine for maintenance (minimum and maximum levels) and how high you need to take it to achieve shock levels if you have algae. Tell us the CYA level of your water and the volume of the pool and we can help you figure out doses of bleach to use.

If you don't already have a good test kit, it will make your pool care much easier if you will get one. The one we recommend is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C (same kit, larger bottle of some reagents). If you buy it through the Amazon link in my signature, the Pool Forum makes a little money on the sale which helps us keep this form online. Only buy if the seller is Amato Industries, however. Some other sellers are substituting the K-2005 which you do NOT want.

Cloud26
07-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks Watermom......... But here is why I'm confused.
I have been looking at the chart and I understand the relationship of CYA and Chlorine. For Example.... last week my CYA was at 94 so my Chlorine would be min of 5 and max of 10. Here is where I'm confused...... my Chlorine test will show that the ideal is between 2.0 and 3.0. Is this PPM? and if so why wouldn't my test kit go above 5? Even my my pool water analysis show I need to be in the 1.5 to 3 range.

This is why I'm confused and thinking that I don't know what the PPM is and how to read them.

Watermom
07-05-2011, 02:14 PM
The numbers on your test kit 2, 3, are ppm (parts per million). Your kit says 'ideal' but it is not always ideal. I'm assuming your pool water analysis came from a pool store. Even many pool stores do not 'get' the connection between CYA and chlorine levels and that is why there are so many pools full of algae because people with high CYA go with the 'ideal' of 2-3. Plus, people with algae-filled pools are money-makers for pool stores!

Most kits will not go above 5 as you noted. That is why we recommend the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C as it will go higher. (I think up to 50 but I'm not sure if that is right.) It depends on your CYA level. It is a big misconception that pools should always be at 1-3 or whatever.

I'm gonna link a thread that Ben wrote this morning that might help you understand this better. If not, come back with more questions. That is why we are here. Don't hesitate to ask again if we aren't making it clear to you.

EDIT: (Read post #23 in the following link.) http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?12604-Help-with-appropriate-shock-for-vinyl-in-ground

Cloud26
07-05-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm starting to get the basic BBB method. MY POOL IS BROWN/GREEN so I'm making changes. I had my water tested today and here are my current levels:
CYA - 84 down from 94 10 days ago
Total Chl - 3.1
Free Chl - 3.1
ALK 215 up from 211

My pool is 25' ABG I assume it to have 10,000 gal.

I added three gallons of 6% bleach which only raise my Chl by 7.5 for a total of 10.6. Since my CYA is 84 I need my chl to be in the 20's.....If I am doing this correctly.

I also added the 3/4 of a box of Borax last night and 3/4 of a bottle of low and slow tonight.

What should I do tomorrow? Add more bleach or more borax? I need to get this cleared up..... I am embarrassed

Watermom
07-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Your CYA may not have changed. I'm assuming these are pool store readings. That test is so subjective that there is no way distinguish 80 from 84 and even 80 to 90. It is very subjective. In actuality, your CYA is probably just the same as it was 10 days ago. The only way to lower it is to replace water. Same with your alk reading -- there is no way to distinguish 215 from 211.

I think your volume is probably a little more than 10K. My 24'AG is around 12,500.

You are right that your shock level is around 20. So, raise it on up! And, try and keep it there. Like I said above, every time you test, raise it back up. No such thing as testing too often when your pool is brown/green.

What is your pH? You are adding Borax which raises pH and Lo 'n Slow which decreases pH. Not a good plan.

Tomorrow? More bleach as often as you can. Back up to 20 or so! More bleach!!! Can't comment on whether you need more Borax until you report your pH reading.

Don't be embarrassed. We all have to learn how to manage our pools. It takes some time but you're doing fine.

More bleach!! Keep it at shock level and run the pump 24/7 cleaning the filter as needed!

Cloud26
07-06-2011, 06:59 AM
I'll go get some more Bleach today. The PH was @ 8.3 so a little high. Should I worry about that now?

Watermom
07-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Yes. A pH of 8.3 is too high. Get some muriatic acid and add some very slowly in front of a return jet while the pump is running. Wear glasses, gloves, stay upwind of fumes, pour close to the water surface to avoid any splashing. It is nasty stuff. Start with about a cup. After a couple of hours, retest and redose as needed until you get the pH between 7.2-7.8.

Cloud26
07-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I added six more gallons of bleach this evening. I went to Lowe's trice today and forgot acid both times. I hope there is not some illegal drugs made from bleach. I have bought about 20g from the dollar general.

aylad
07-06-2011, 09:17 PM
lol, as far as I know there's no legal restriction from buying that much bleach at a time, but I think we've all experienced the "what in the world...." looks from other people. I just smile back and let them wonder...

Watermom
07-06-2011, 10:33 PM
With a straight face, just tell them that you have really dirty clothes!

Cloud26
07-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm making a little bit of progress, but it is still green. My wife was wiping the walls and the green clouds were awful. The chlorine is above my little kit so I know were making progress. I did put another 10 gal of bleach in tonight hoping to push it over the top and get this cleared up. With 10 gal my Chl should be over 25 plus what ever it was before.

I don't think I will let the kids swim tomorrow or Sunday.
My Ph is also rising so I will get Acid tomorrow to lower it.

Here's my question. What does the polyquat do? And where do I get it.

Watermom
07-08-2011, 09:48 PM
You may find it in a pool store or you may have to order it online. But, it is a better preventative than it is effective at helping when you already have an existing algae bloom.

aylad
07-08-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't think polyquat will help you much right now, since as Watermom said, it is a better preventative than it is in killing existing blooms. You'd be better to stick with straight bleach, keeping that chlorine up above 20-25 ppm as consistently as possible until the pool clears. It will also help to brush the pool daily during this process, to try to loosen as much algae as possible from the pool walls.

Cloud26
07-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Pool is looking better. I put some acid in it sat night and the PH was perfect on Sunday. I didn't do anything to it Sunday. This morning the pool was looking better and is clearing up. I put 4 more gallons of bleach in it this afternoon. I can't wait to see how it will look in the morning.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Watermom
07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
You are very welcome. Keep us posted how things are going!

CarlD
07-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Figure 15,000 gallons for your calculations...if you have 4' of water the actual number is about 14,700 gallons + or - 14 gallons. But nothing's that accurate and 15,000 is MORE than good enough--makes rule-of-thumb and ballpark calculations easy.
1.5 gallons of 6% bleach adds 6ppm of chlorine to your water. 1 gallon only adds 4ppm. If you buy 12.5% liquid chlorine at a pool store it should add 8.5 ppm of chlorine per gallon.

Carl

madwil
07-13-2011, 01:25 PM
just a note- when you are shocking that high, you're pH test is not accurate- higher chlorine (I think over 10) makes the pH read high.
If it's really high, adding acid should be alright, but don't shoot for the low end of pH while your chlorine is over 10...