PDA

View Full Version : Green Algae - kids crying no pool...

deepsouthpool
07-03-2011, 09:18 PM
First thank God for this resource...
Been ready for the better part of an hour...
I am amazed at some of the misconceptions I have had and that I have been told by commercial pool companies.

We (my wife, 2 little girls and I) just moved down from Ohio to Louisiana "HOT"
We inherited a small pool 15x48 (vinyl liner obviously)
1/2horse pump (1500gph) and sand filter.

Pool was fine crystal clear for weeks..
We had a set of severe storm here for almost a week.
90+ degree weather, pump off (no power) = ALGAE

I shocked it with super shock - no good.
I bought (Wal-marts "Green to blue shock")
Followed directions, all green stuff coagulated and fell to floor....
Problem ANY water disturbance unsettles sentiment and I am back to green cloudy water...

I have read a few threads here so I will say it now;
2morrow I will get a cheap tester (walmart) until the I can get a better one from the Amazon link.

Thank u in advance

DeepSouthPool

Watermom
07-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi deepsouthpool and welcome to the forum!

Good decision to get a good kit. That will make things much easier for you. In the meantime the cheap OTO/Phenol red kit will help. Do you have a reliable pool store near you that you can let test your water one time so we can get a baseline on some of your readings? Make sure that CYA is one of the things they test. Don't let them talk you into buying any goop of any kind. They will try!

Don't add anything else to the pool right now other than plain, household bleach. Get several bottles of 6% bleach (generic is fine) and also a box of 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle) while you are at Walmart getting the OTO kit.

Report with a current total set of readings and we'll go from there.

deepsouthpool
07-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi Watermom,
OK will do on all fronts.
My wife today will head to walmart grab a dozen bleaches, water tester and Borax.
We have a few Leslies near us...
I will grab some water prior to adding bleach/soap (unsure if they are open today the 4th) and drive by.
If not will the sample hold till 2morrow?
**Does the sample need to even be prior to adding what you have recomeedned starting with in the first place?
Thank you and Have a great 4th of July...

DeepSouthPool

Hi deepsouthpool and welcome to the forum!

Good decision to get a good kit. That will make things much easier for you. In the meantime the cheap OTO/Phenol red kit will help. Do you have a reliable pool store near you that you can let test your water one time so we can get a baseline on some of your readings? Make sure that CYA is one of the things they test. Don't let them talk you into buying any goop of any kind. They will try!

Don't add anything else to the pool right now other than plain, household bleach. Get several bottles of 6% bleach (generic is fine) and also a box of 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle) while you are at Walmart getting the OTO kit.

Report with a current total set of readings and we'll go from there.

CarlD
07-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Put the sample in the fridge if you are going to hold it over night.

Carl

Watermom
07-04-2011, 10:59 AM
I would just wait to take the sample until a day that the pool store is open. But, go ahead and get some bleach in there. You don't want to wait on that.

deepsouthpool
07-04-2011, 02:33 PM
OK Leslies was open.... "Yeah"

Took bottle and got supplies you requested from Walmart.

Test Results
FAC - .5
TAC - .5
Water PH - 7.7
TA – 130
CYA – 35
Calcium Hardness – 110
Salt - 3100
Phos - 300

**As a note** The clerk recommended I purchase and use “clarifier” and brush up the submerged sentiment. Stating the clarifier would keep it the water allowing the filter to remove the particles. Additionally she recommended I should shock EOD until clear…

PoolDoc
07-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi DeepSouth;

Add 1 of those jugs of bleach to the pool -- about 12 ppm -- and then brush the pool, and deliberately stir up the algae. Wait 1 hour, and test with OTO. If the chlorine is still above 5 ppm, you're kids can swim AS LONG AS YOU WATCH THEM. People get lost in cloudy pools! (See article here (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/cops-eye-video-after-body-found-in-massachusetts-run-pool-25-apx-20110630), and picture of cloudy water, here (http://media2.myfoxboston.com//photo/2011/06/29/fall_river_pool_lns_20110629.FXTimg_tmb0003_201106 29165316_320_240.JPG) .)

But, as long as you've got good chlorine levels, the pool is sanitary.

Tonight, add ANOTHER gallon, and brush again. That will likely kill all remaining algae. BUT, you still need to MAINTAIN a constant chlorine level in the pool for it to be safe to use.

Watermom
07-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Also, run the pump 24/7 while you are working to clear this up.

CarlD
07-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Notice that Ben did NOT suggest you use the clarifier....So don't, please

Carl

deepsouthpool
07-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Hi DeepSouth;

Add 1 of those jugs of bleach to the pool -- about 12 ppm -- and then brush the pool, and deliberately stir up the algae. Wait 1 hour, and test with OTO. If the chlorine is still above 5 ppm, you're kids can swim AS LONG AS YOU WATCH THEM. People get lost in cloudy pools! (See article here (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/cops-eye-video-after-body-found-in-massachusetts-run-pool-25-apx-20110630), and picture of cloudy water, here (http://media2.myfoxboston.com//photo/2011/06/29/fall_river_pool_lns_20110629.FXTimg_tmb0003_201106 29165316_320_240.JPG) .)

But, as long as you've got good chlorine levels, the pool is sanitary.

Tonight, add ANOTHER gallon, and brush again. That will likely kill all remaining algae. BUT, you still need to MAINTAIN a constant chlorine level in the pool for it to be safe to use.

Ok will do!

Also, run the pump 24/7 while you are working to clear this up.

Got it, running 24/7.......

Notice that Ben did NOT suggest you use the clarifier....So don't, please

Carl

I did notice Carl Thank you.....

aylad
07-05-2011, 03:40 PM
And...welcome to the forum, from another Southerner!!

Watermom
07-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Quite a few from Louisiana being added to the forum this year. What did you do, Jan? Stand on the road holding a big sign promising a week at a swanky resort if they signed up on PF?? ;););)

deepsouthpool
07-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Quite a few from Louisiana being added to the forum this year. What did you do, Jan? Stand on the road holding a big sign promising a week at a swanky resort if they signed up on PF?? ;););)

No swank for me thank you...
But I am grateful for this forum...