PDA

View Full Version : Safe shock PPM - vinyl pool

falken
05-10-2006, 01:19 PM
My CYA is less than 20PPM (had about 80 last season, but now not even enough to register anything on the test).
I'm trying to clean up cloudy water to no avail, holding the chlorine at about 10PPM right now but doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Don't want to bleach out the liner, and I know bens best guess shows between 10-12PPM for a shock value for my pool, but is it safe to go any higher?

Thanks!

Watermom
05-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I would not. Are you running your pump 24/7? Post a full set of readings and tell us the volume of the pool and exactly what all you have put in the water.

falken
05-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Yes, the pump is running 24/7.

27,000 gallons. Have only used baking soda to bring up the alk, 1 quart of polyquat, and 10% bleach.
I did try a dosage of HTH clarifier that I had left over, no real effect.

Oh yeah, the pool store that opened my pool dumped in a dose of "Algecide"(which I can only asssume was copper based) and "PhosFree", it seems they didn't understand my instructions to not add any chemicals to the pool. The idiots added all of this including a case of liquid shock with the pump turned off, I had them open it so they could fix some PCV pipe so the system could not be turned on for 4 hours after they left.

Current readings:
Chlorine - 8.6
CC - 0.2
Ph - 7.4
Alk - 120
Cal - 90
CYA - 0 (at least under test range)
Salt - 2500 (SWG)
Temp - 70

Readings done with a Taylor K-2006, salt based on SWG digital readout (waiting for bens kit to arrive).