PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy water

Sunshine427
07-02-2011, 09:01 AM
I need major help please.......even though the water is blue it is extremely cloudy. It is an AG 24 FT approx 15,000 gallons. I just bought a new Cartridge Filter (first time using this type of filter) I have been taking the water each week to the pool store & they keep telling me all my levels are good, just keep shocking it & it will clear up. NOT happening. CYA is 83
PH 7.5
TA 120
I am about to empty the pool & add new water. Any ideas....sorry if I forgot to post any other info that you may need. Thanks!!

Watermom
07-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Do you have an FC, CC and TC readings? With a CYA of 83, you need to be keeping your chlorine levels between 5-10 all the time and your shock level will be 20 ppm when needed. I would suggest that you use bleach and shock your pool. Add 5 gallons of 6% bleach. Run your pump 24/7. This evening test your chlorine once the sun is off the pool and then again in the morning within 2 hours of sunrise. If you lose more than 1ppm of cl overnight, that tells you that you are fighting something in the water and need to shock the pool again. Continue shocking until you can pass this overnight test. When you pass it, then let the cl drift down and maintain it between 5-10 all the time or you risk an algae bloom. (See the Best Guess chart in my signature below.)

What have you been using to chlorinate with? Please give ingredients and not just "shock." Another reading that you didn't post was the calcium hardness reading. If you have that, please post it when you post the chlorine readings.

What kind of test kit are using and what is the upper limit on the chlorine testing level it can read?

Do NOT totally empty the pool or you may destroy your liner!