PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to start BBB method

knifechief13
07-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I am having difficulty with my chlorine level, and my Cya level is 0. Can i just go ahead and shock with the bleach, and then proceed from there? I have an above gorund soft-side pool that is 7900 gallons.

PoolDoc
07-01-2011, 09:59 PM
You can start adding 1/2 gallon of bleach -- ~5 ppm -- in the evenings to keep your pool from getting messed up. But you'll need to add some stabilizer. You can put 3 - 4 # in an old sock and hang it in front of the pool return. It will take several days to dissolve.

CarlD
07-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Can you post test result numbers, either your own or from a pool store's tests? That will help. Sound like you have an 18' donut pool or thereabouts. I started with a 15' donut myself.

Carl

knifechief13
07-02-2011, 06:20 PM
My test results are Free Chlorine= 0, pH= 7.5, Alkalinity= 120, and CYA= 0.

Watermom
07-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Are these results before or after you added the bleach and CYA? You need to keep some chlorine in the pool. Until you get a CYA reading which will be several days up to a week, you'll need to add bleach a couple of times per day. In this size pool, each quart of 6% bleach will add just under 2ppm of chlorine to the water. Morning and evening, add enough bleach to take your chlorine reading back up to about 6 or so. Once your CYA is dissolved, you'll be able to test and add bleach in the evenings only.

Your pH and alk look just fine.

Post your CYA reading about a week from now, you'll use the Best Guess chart in my signature below to help you determine what chlorine level you'll need. It is based on the CYA level. Always make sure you keep your chlorine level within the suggested range or else you risk an algae bloom.

BTW -- Welcome to the Pool Forum!